Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Bob Johnson <bo...@tumbleweed.com> on 2001/04/20 18:27:56 UTC

Getting Logging levels to work

I'm assuming that the "logging levels" configured in JAMES.xml.conf
control/influence the type (& quantity) of msgs that are logged into the
various files in /log.

As distributed, JAMES's logging "level" is set to DEBUG (I assume to be the
most verbose).
I attempted (w/o success) to reduce this level by editing the JAMES.xml.conf
line from

  <channel name="default"      loglevel="DEBUG"  logwriter="default"/>
  <channel name="default"      loglevel="EMERGENCY"  logwriter="default"/>

This attempt to go from one verbose extreme to the opposite is having NO
affect.  All the DEBUG level msgs still appear in the logfiles (I did this
to all the channels).  I'm assuming that the loglevel strings are the names
of the static int field names defined in the Logger interface.

Is this a bug with logging, or cockpit-error on my part?