Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/08 13:55:03 UTC

Docker image uploaded under the account of apache

Hi all,

Apache has an account on dockerHub, and there are many apache software
images on it.

I opened a ticket to get the permission to upload IoTDB image there several
days ago [1].

Now I have get the permission and have uploaded the docker image of IoTDB
0.8.1 and 0.9.0 there. Please have a review to point out the mistake
(according to [2]).

Now, you can run IoTDB server as a docker container by using "docker run -d
-p 6667:6667 -p 31999:31999 -p 8181:8181 --name some-iotdb
apache/iotdb:0.9.0"

and then start a client-cli by using `docker exec -it some-iotdb /bin/bash`

Enjoy it!

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/DistributionGuidelines

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Re: Docker image uploaded under the account of apache

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

> For example, in my previous Repo [1], I wrote a short description " Apache
> IoTDB (incubating) docker images", is that ok for a personal maintained
> Repo?

That's OK but could be better e.g. You could link to the official IoTDB site, note that it’s an incubating project, and include trademark attribution.

> And in [1], I built an image for iotdb 0.8.2 snapshot,  if some personal
> repo have the similar case, do they need to remove RC and snapshot images?

It’s going to depend. If a large number of your users as using the snapshot then yes probably something would need to be done about it. That still may not mean it needs to be removed. It would be best if it clearly stated that this was unreleased code and only for development use and not production use.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Docker image uploaded under the account of apache

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> but they do need to recognise that they are Apache projects

> If the project didn't set them up
> and they are doing branding correctly, the issue should be handed off to
> brand to followup.

For example, in my previous Repo [1], I wrote a short description " Apache
IoTDB (incubating) docker images", is that ok for a personal maintained
Repo?  Or do they have to declaim the incubator disclaimer?

And in [1], I built an image for iotdb 0.8.2 snapshot,  if some personal
repo have the similar case, do they need to remove RC and snapshot images?

[1] https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/hxdiotdb/iotdb

Best,
-----------------------------------

Kevin A. McGrail <km...@apache.org> 于2019年12月9日周一 上午9:34写道:

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Um I was trying to contact the owners of these docker repos.

Sadly, only hxdiotdb (it is me..) and xingtanzjr are contacted.

I also checked these repos.

[1], [2] and [3] are fine, both of them mentioned the image is for Apache
IoTDB, and showed iotdb's website.

I can not contact to [4] and [5] (DockerHub does not share owners' info,
even the email).

[4] is indeed an Apache IoTDB image, but sounds [5] is not an Apache IoTDB
image.

[1] https://hub.docker.com/r/hxdiotdb/iotdb <
https://hub.docker.com/r/hxdiotdb/iotdb>
[2] https://hub.docker.com/r/dmonesr/iotdb <
https://hub.docker.com/r/dmonesr/iotdb>
[3] https://hub.docker.com/r/xingtanzjr/iotdb
[4] https://hub.docker.com/r/fudanyuan/iotdb <
https://hub.docker.com/r/fudanyuan/iotdb>
[5] https://hub.docker.com/r/zongxiongchen/iotdb-core <

Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> 于2019年12月9日周一 下午10:04写道:

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> Nor do they need to, often a friendly email will achieve a good result or
an outcome that works for everyone. If a solution can’t be found then brand
can deal with it.

or this mailing list?

Best,
----------------------------------

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
None of that turns them into policemen of brand infringements.  Can they

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I can only recognize two of them... xingtanzjr and hxdiotdb... one is my
private repo and the other belongs to Jinrui Zhang, we can remove these
repo because they are not useful now.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年12月9日周一 上午5:08写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/iotdb <https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/iotdb> looks good to me.

We may have some branding/trademark issues with:
https://hub.docker.com/r/xingtanzjr/iotdb <https://hub.docker.com/r/xingtanzjr/iotdb>
https://hub.docker.com/r/fudanyuan/iotdb <https://hub.docker.com/r/fudanyuan/iotdb>
https://hub.docker.com/r/hxdiotdb/iotdb <https://hub.docker.com/r/hxdiotdb/iotdb>
https://hub.docker.com/r/dmonesr/iotdb <https://hub.docker.com/r/dmonesr/iotdb>