Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by James Kennedy <ja...@troove.net> on 2010/12/31 02:38:36 UTC

Allowing HRegionServer extensions to register interfaces for HBaseRPCMetrics

HBaseRpcMetrics is now logging a WARN message every time it encounters an unregistered RPC method.

In my case I now get huge log files filled with these warnings because the hbase-trx transactional extension of HBase uses a subclass of HRegionServer that adds new interface methods.

It's easy enough to tell log4j to ignore HBaseRpcMetrics output.

However, it would be nice if the Server/HRegionServer HBaseRpcMetrics mechanism was more extensible so I could pass down new interfaces or grab the HBaseRpcMetrics from the HBaseRPC object to add interfaces from up top...

- James Kennedy

James Kennedy
Project Manager
Troove Inc.

1 877 330 8501

Re: Allowing HRegionServer extensions to register interfaces for HBaseRPCMetrics

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

I posted a patch for review against HBASE-3405:

https://review.cloudera.org/r/1414/

This adds a getRpcMetrics() method to HRegionServer, which would allow other
implementations to register their own metrics using something like:

    getRpcMetrics().createMetrics(new Class[]{ MyClassName });

Those metrics will then show up in the "rpc" context along with the other
RPC methods and stats.

Can you please take a look and let me know if this will work for your usage?

Thanks,
Gary

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,