Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Abel Muiño <am...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/24 20:23:23 UTC

Unneeded transitive dependencies?

I have run dependency:tree on a pom with the maven embedder (SNAPSHOT) as the
only dependency. I'm using several repositories so all the SNAPSHOT
dependencies are found.

In the output, I have found a couple of dependencies that I think might have
leaked:
  * junit:junit:3.8.2 (from
org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-container-default:1.0-beta-3.0.6)
  * nekohtml:xercesMinimal:1.9.6.2
  * nekohtml:nekohtml:1.9.6.2

I'm quite sure about junit, but I'm curious about nekohtml... is it used?
what for?

Thanks!

-----
http://www.linkedin.com/in/amuino Abel Mui&ntilde;o Vizcaino  -
http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com

Re: Unneeded transitive dependencies?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 25/02/2009, at 7:47 AM, Abel Muiño wrote:

> Thanks! I guess that it should be safe to exclude it as long as we
> do not use
> PlexusTestCase... i.e. there is no internal code relaying on junit.
> Right?

Just in the tests.

> Any clues about nekohtml and its usage?

it's used in wagon-lightweight-http for parsing HTML file lists (so
not regularly used in Maven itself). It's also AL2.

> Igor Fedorenko-4 wrote:
>>
>> Abel,
>>
>> As far as I know, PlexusTestCase is part of plexus container API at
>> the
>> moment, so at least technically junit dependency is needed.
>>
>> Abel Muiño wrote:
>>> I have run dependency:tree on a pom with the maven embedder
>>> (SNAPSHOT) as
>>> the
>>> only dependency. I'm using several repositories so all the SNAPSHOT
>>> dependencies are found.
>>>
>>> In the output, I have found a couple of dependencies that I think
>>> might
>>> have
>>> leaked:
>>>  * junit:junit:3.8.2 (from
>>> org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-container-default:1.0-beta-3.0.6)
>>>  * nekohtml:xercesMinimal:1.9.6.2
>>>  * nekohtml:nekohtml:1.9.6.2
>>>
>>> I'm quite sure about junit, but I'm curious about nekohtml... is
>>> it used?
>>> what for?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

> -----