Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mi...@swisscom.com on 2002/01/30 10:08:30 UTC

Dynamic Update

Hi all,
I am trying to use batik in an application where I need to update one single Element at a time (for example since the element has moved or has been deleted). I don't want to redraw the whole svg. I looked at the DynamicRenderer but it seems to be nothing else than a placeholder for a future implementation.

Does somebody have an idea on how to allow single elements to be updated dynamically ?

Cheers
Michele

Re: Dynamic Update

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

VH> Michele, Michele.Laghi@swisscom.com wrote:
>>  Hi all, I am trying to use batik in an application where I need to
>> update one single Element at a time (for example since the element
>> has moved or has been deleted).

VH> We are working on adding support for dynamic updates but it is not
VH> quite there yet. It is coming though....

    Actually, I think Vincent is being a bit modest.  If you are
willing to work directly with the GVT tree I think most things will
work (you will of course be on the bleeding edge).  If you want to
make your modifications on the DOM tree (which _is_ the correct way to
do things of course) then Vincent is correct you will have to wait for
us to update the bridge module (the bridge is responsible for
propogating changes from the DOM to the GVT tree).

>> I don't want to redraw the whole svg. I looked at the
>> DynamicRenderer but it seems to be nothing else than a placeholder
>> for a future implementation.

   Clearly you haven't checked CVS in the last 20hrs :)

   I just committed a new Dynamic renderer that does some of what you
want, actually the old static renderer was a lot better than you would
think it was just by reading it's code as caching of image data
happens under the hood.

VH> I hope we wont keep you waiting too long :-)

    I also hope we won't keep you waiting too long.

Re: Dynamic Update

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Michele,

Michele.Laghi@swisscom.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am trying to use batik in an application where I need to update one single Element at a time (for example since the element has moved or has been deleted). I don't want to redraw the whole svg. I looked at the DynamicRenderer but it seems to be nothing else than a placeholder for a future implementation.

We are working on adding support for dynamic updates but it is not
quite there yet. It is coming though....

I hope we wont keep you waiting too long :-)
Cheers,
Vincent.