Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Dave Brosius <db...@mebigfatguy.com> on 2012/01/30 21:31:13 UTC

extra diffs showing up in update column family

If a user specifies a Comparator in an update column family (as was from
a irc user), as

update column family report_by_account_content with comparator=UTF8Type
and column_metadata = [{ column_name:'meta:account-id',
validation_class:UTF8Type,index_type:KEYS},{
column_name:'meta:filter-hash', validation_class:UTF8Type,index_type:KEYS}];

The comparator value is seen as different because the original
comparator was the fully qualified name of the
org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type, and new one is what is passed
in UTF8Type. So CFMetaData.diff sees this as a change and does extra
work because of it.

I'm guessing there are other class name values where this holds true as
well.

Is this a big enough concern to address?

thanks
dave

Re: extra diffs showing up in update column family

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> Sorry, i thought bug reports went to the user list.

Well, if it was just "I have this exception" then sure, but Dave has
done quite a few patches and dug into the problem pretty specifically
and was asking if it's a big enough concern to bother with, so I don't
see a problem with dev@

-Brandon

Re: extra diffs showing up in update column family

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Sorry, i thought bug reports went to the user list.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com