Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Fatih <fk...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/26 13:04:52 UTC

POI HSSF File size

Hello,
I am currently testing poi hssf API, i made a simple test as follow :

        FileInputStream fileIn = new FileInputStream("c:\\filein.xls");
        POIFSFileSystem fs = new POIFSFileSystem(fileIn);
        HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);
        FileOutputStream fileOut = new FileOutputStream("c:\\fileout.xls");
        wb.write(fileOut);
        fileOut.close();
        fileIn.close();

The input file (filein.xls) has a size of 2 792 960 bytes.
The output file (fileout.xls) has a size of 5 920 256 bytes.

I made no changes in the file, just the code described above but i don't really
understand why my output file doubled its size.

Anyone has an idea ?

Thanks

Fatih

Re: POI HSSF File size

Posted by Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>.
Excel uses some file size shortcuts, HSSF does not as they are a bit
convoluted and hard to debug if they go wrong.

Lots of text is "compressed" in this way, so that may explain your file
size change.