Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/10 15:28:00 UTC

Re: Geronimo request for ASF hosted machines

On May 25, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Kevan Miller
> <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I assume building out a new data center is something we will need
>> to do,
>> regardless? These machines would put us over the tipping point?
>
> No, not really - we're scheduled to get more power at OSU OSL in the
> late fall timeframe.  That said, I don't think it makes sense to delay
> it until then if we can, plus we've been discussing a smaller co-lo
> facility for build boxes off and on in the past.  So, I think we're
> willing to take this on.
>
>> I assume Ubuntu is the preferred Linux distribution for Infra? I
>> don't have
>> any experience with it. I see that they choose KVM as their
>> virtualization
>> technology. From a quick look, seems that Xen support is not too
>> great. My
>> guess is that we can make Ubuntu/KVM work, but we should do some
>> investigating. I think G community members are more familiar with
>> Suse, Red
>> Hat, and Xen.
>
> The infra team strongly prefers Ubuntu, so if it's possible for the G
> community members to investigate whether Ubuntu would satisfy their
> needs, then infrastructure can start doing the ground work for
> procuring the machines.  -- justin

A few weekends back, I installed Ubuntu and worked with it a bit. I
didn't see any big issues. There'll be a bit of a change, from what
some are used to, but nothing major, IMO.

--kevan

Re: Geronimo request for ASF hosted machines

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few weekends back, I installed Ubuntu and worked with it a bit. I didn't
> see any big issues. There'll be a bit of a change, from what some are used
> to, but nothing major, IMO.

Good to hear!

Just to ensure you that things aren't being dropped on my end, I've
started the quote process with Dell for the two boxes per the specs we
talked about earlier.  I'll be presenting the quote to the Board at
its next meeting for approval.  If all goes well, we'll be able to
start the ordering and build-out process in late June - so rough ETA
would be sometime in July depending upon Dell's order pipeline and how
quickly we can set up a new co-lo.

Thanks.  -- justin