Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Plamen Totev <pl...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/19 20:14:32 UTC

Developing fix that spans across several Apache projects

Hi,

There is an issue in the Maven Assembly Plugin cause by a bug in the
Plexus Archiver -
https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-archiver/issues/53. To fix the
issue I've created a patch for Apache Common Compress -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-375

My understanding is that in order to fix the issue three releases are
required. First the Apache Common Compress should be released, then
Plexus Archiver and finally the Maven Assembly plugin. I'm new to
contributing to open source project in general so I'll be very grateful
if somebody could tell me more about the procedure in such cases and how
should I handle them. Excuse me if this question was asked already, but
I didn't manage to find any information.

And maybe a bit off-topic. My proposed fix introduces a backward
incompatible change in Plexus Archiver. You could take a look at the
proposed changes here -
https://github.com/plamentotev/plexus-archiver/commit/c493756f86acbe5d64084a875045f00e905c8136.
What do you think? Tt needs a polish such as better javadocs for the
ConcurrentJarCreator constructor and more test cases, but you could get
an idea about the patch. Does this change require major version change
in Plexus Archiver? Not quite sure if ConcurrentJarCreator is part of
the public interface of the library.

Thanks,
Plamen Totev

Re: Fwd: Developing fix that spans across several Apache projects

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-12-19, Gary Gregory wrote:

> FYI: We have an Apache project waiting on a Commons Compress release.

AFAICT we could cut a release immediately, I've been waiting for you and
COMPRESS-362 before re-raising the issue. I don't see a real solution
for COMPRESS-376 (which I promised to look into) and COMPRESS-367 is
closed.

You said you wanted to "keep poking on 362", is this done?

Do you want to cut the release (I can do so as well)?

Stefan

Fwd: Developing fix that spans across several Apache projects

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
FYI: We have an Apache project waiting on a Commons Compress release.

Gary

[...]

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com