Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2010/03/19 17:31:33 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.1 available

Release Notes -- Apache SpamAssassin -- Version 3.3.1

Introduction
------------

This is a minor release, adding a new URIBL network rule (URIBL_DBL_SPAM, for the
Spamhaus DBL).

Downloading and availability
----------------------------

Downloads are available from:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/downloads.cgi

md5sum of archive files:

  bb977900c3b2627db13e9f44f9b5bfc8  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.bz2
  5a93f81fda315411560ff5da099382d2  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.gz
  4cfeb3449cee173085deef06e3090543  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.zip
  3e6ae5a39b9dd2de7ec05a2b315c396b  Mail-SpamAssassin-rules-3.3.1.r923114.tgz

sha1sum of archive files:

  f5748043eb286b1acb456093039a55db00c6f25e  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.bz2
  8b32a857cc89c8d057442400bc00f33fd703ce06  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.gz
  9fc7c8bfd153d49d60fbeba99d0a4272609e3a26  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.zip
  7aeeb7abb2d727bb35d3a0927a1390ad3cddad59  Mail-SpamAssassin-rules-3.3.1.r923114.tgz

Note that the *-rules-*.tgz files are only necessary if you cannot, or do not
wish to, run "sa-update" after install to download the latest fresh rules.

The release files also have a .asc accompanying them.  The file serves
as an external GPG signature for the given release file.  The signing
key is available via the wwwkeys.pgp.net key server, as well as
http://www.apache.org/dist/spamassassin/KEYS

The key information is:

pub   4096R/F7D39814 2009-12-02
      Key fingerprint = D809 9BC7 9E17 D7E4 9BC2  1E31 FDE5 2F40 F7D3 9814
uid                  SpamAssassin Project Management Committee <pr...@spamassassin.apache.org>
uid                  SpamAssassin Signing Key (Code Signing Key, replacement for 1024D/265FA05B) <de...@spamassassin.apache.org>
sub   4096R/7B3265A5 2009-12-02

See the INSTALL and UPGRADE files in the distribution for important
installation notes.

Summary of major changes since 3.3.0
------------------------------------

bug 6335: add Spamhaus DBL as URIBL_DBL_SPAM rule

Bug 6370: update ImageInfo plugin to latest release

bug 6215, bug 6294: RCVD_IN_CSS rule was broken.  the check_rbl_sub() syntax
was incorrect, resulting in missing hits

bug 6361: list 2tld and 3tld sub-domain hosters for URIBL/SURBL/DBL queries;
NOTE for SARE users: This file replaces the SARE file
http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/90_2tld.cf, which will be deprecated as from
2010-05-01.

Bug 6369, 6356, 6373: WIN32 support for spamd improved

Bug 6267: Solaris 10 requires --syslog-socket=native

bug 6304 spamd is spawning and killing processes too often - Added spamd
adjustments to info level and more information for administrators + small fix
to Makefile.PL

Bug 6310: sa-learn --import gives Insecure dependency in open

Bug 6313: -Q or -q AND -x should not result in creation of a ~/.spamassassin
dir; plus: taint issues fixed

Bug 6342: make test failure on if_can under perl 5.6

Bug 6340: Impossible to find user home directory of VPOPMAIL alias

Bug 6072, 6343: POD warnings, documentation fixes

Bug 6304 (trivial), reduce sysadmin's stress level by lowercasing
the 'INTERRUPTED' in a logged message:
 spamd: handled cleanup of child pid [...] due to SIGCHLD: INTERRUPTED

Bug 6329: POSIX::strftime in call under Win32 ActivePerl causes Perl to hang up;
formatting option %e is not in a POSIX standard, use %d instead and edit

Bug 6322: In DKIM ADSP eval test check_dkim_adsp() the '*' is handled incorrectly

Bug 6327: Fix calling argument in utility used to determine DCC's homedir

Bug 6316: DCC.pm, wrong options for dcc_proc, (plus: avoid a warning on undef
in logger when dccifd socket is not provided)

Bug 6287: improved DKIM plugin debugging

Bug 6321 - _TOKENSUMMARY_ not working in 3.3.0 (Plugin/Bayes.pm looks-up a tag
from wrong location)

Bug 6312 - uninitialized value $start_time in spamd

bug 5761: trivial doc fix: document SPAMD_LOCALHOST test-control env variable

About Apache SpamAssassin
-------------------------

Apache SpamAssassin is a mature, widely-deployed open source project
that serves as a mail filter to identify spam. SpamAssassin uses a variety
of mechanisms including mail header and text analysis, Bayesian filtering,
DNS blocklists, and collaborative filtering databases. In addition, Apache
SpamAssassin has a modular architecture that allows other technologies to be
quickly incorporated as an addition or as a replacement for existing methods.
Apache SpamAssassin typically runs on a server, classifies and labels spam
before it reaches your mailbox, while allowing other components of a mail
system to act on its results.

Most of the Apache SpamAssassin is written in Perl, with heavily traversed
code paths carefully optimized. Benefits are portability, robustness and
facilitated maintenance. It can run on a wide variety of POSIX platforms.
The server and the Perl library feels at home on Unix and Linux platforms,
and reportedly also works on MS Windows systems under ActivePerl.

For more information, visit http://spamassassin.apache.org/

About The Apache Software Foundation
------------------------------------

Established in 1999, The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational,
legal, and financial support for more than 100 freely-available,
collaboratively-developed Open Source projects. The pragmatic Apache License
enables individual and commercial users to easily deploy Apache software;
the Foundation's intellectual property framework limits the legal exposure
of its 2,500+ contributors.

For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/

Re: careful on your clicks: at least one hijacked server

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 21/03/2010 3:04 AM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> On 3/20/10 9:53 PM, Mark Martinec wrote:
>>
>> To my taste, ASF mirrors should not be allowed to hijack nonexistent
>> URLs within a mirror directory. Such practice should cause an immediate
>> ban/drop of such site from a list of official mirrors.
>>

> like this?  doesn't give me a 404.  gives me their TakeYellow Business
> Directory.
>
> <http://www.takeyellow.com/apachemirror/spamassassin/source/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.2.tar.gz>

Yeah, we're working on getting infra to talk to them about it.  It may
even be an oversight on their part.  It actually is a 404 page, it's
just been customized.

[dos@cyan ~]$ curl --head
http://www.takeyellow.com/apachemirror/spamassassin/source/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.2.tar.gz
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 07:59:37 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.15 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.15 OpenSSL/0.9.8m DAV/2
mod_fcgid/2.3.5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4
FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

[dos@cyan ~]$

Re: careful on your clicks: at least one hijacked server

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: careful on your clicks: at least one hijacked server

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 20/03/2010 9:53 PM, Mark Martinec wrote:
>>> try it, pretend you are looking for sa332.
>>
>> Again, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be directed to a mirror
>> unless it has updated.  Although a plain 404 would be better.
>>
>>> with all the problems lately, fake search pages, legit (yahoo search,
>>> doubleclick, etc) serving up malware laden ads, its just too fishy.
>>
>> I don't think anything is fishy and I'm still not convinced that the
>> original owners of the domain have lost control of it.
>
> To my taste, ASF mirrors should not be allowed to hijack nonexistent
> URLs within a mirror directory. Such practice should cause an immediate
> ban/drop of such site from a list of official mirrors.

I don't disagree (which is why I brought the issue up on infra@).
However, I do not believe that there is any fishiness going on or that
the authenticity of the downloads are at question.  I see no evidence
that the site has been compromised.

Daryl

Re: careful on your clicks: at least one hijacked server

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.

Re: careful on your clicks: at least one hijacked server: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.1 available

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 20/03/2010 12:34 PM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>> http://www.takeyellow.com/
>>
>> But the mirror is also there:
>>
>> http://www.takeyellow.com/apachemirror/
>>
>> I agree that combination looks fishy first. But I rather think that this
>>
> I think I would worry about the integrety of a mirror like that, but up
> to SA folks.  if they think its ok to use them as a mirror, so be it.

It's not up to us, it's really up to ASF infrastructure.

I am concerned that you were apparently directed there before the files
were there.  AFAIK that's not supposed to happen.

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Michael Scheidell wrote on Sat, 20 Mar 2010 00:15:29 -0400:

> I have a printscreen from that site (that for some reason I can't email)

Well, everyone can just go there and so for him/herself ;-)

http://www.takeyellow.com/

But the mirror is also there:

http://www.takeyellow.com/apachemirror/

I agree that combination looks fishy first. But I rather think that this
is a vendor that wants to drive traffic. Look at the footer of the
apachemirror sites. All of it points to domains held/used by the same
vendor. So, in the hope that a lot of people might try
"www.takeyellow.com" by its own they put it there. It's an open link
directory, if you look closer and not one of those faked "search pages"
that you often find on hi-jacked domains.

Kai

Re: careful on your clicks: at least one hijacked server: Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.1 available

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

> I'm not sure that's accurate.  Did you get that link from our download
> page today?

yes, I did.
> The site seems to still be an Apache mirror, it just hasn't updated yet,
> AFAICS.

then someone needs to unauthorize them.  its a parking page, someone
lost that hostname and someone else is running it.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 19/03/2010 2:34 PM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> On 3/19/10 12:31 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
>> Release Notes -- Apache SpamAssassin -- Version 3.3.1
>>

> I clicked on the download and got redirected (hijacked)?  to this site:
>
> http://www.takeyellow.com/apachemirror/spamassassin/source/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.gz
>

> TAKEYELLOW IS NO LONGER UNDER CONTROL OF THE ORIGINAL OWNERS.
>
> ITS A PARKING, DRIVE BY DOWNLOAD SITE.

I'm not sure that's accurate.  Did you get that link from our download
page today?

The site seems to still be an Apache mirror, it just hasn't updated yet,
AFAICS.

http://www.takeyellow.com/apachemirror/spamassassin/

[dos@cyan ~]$ whois takeyellow.com
[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
[whois.verisign-grs.com]

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: TAKEYELLOW.COM
   Registrar: SPOT DOMAIN LLC DBA DOMAINSITE.COM
   Whois Server: whois.domainsite.com
   Referral URL: http://www.domainsite.com
   Name Server: NS1139.HOSTGATOR.COM
   Name Server: NS1140.HOSTGATOR.COM
   Updated Date: 06-sep-2009
   Creation Date: 04-jul-2008
   Expiration Date: 04-jul-2011

Posted by Michael Scheidell <li...@secnap.com>.

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:25, Martin <ma...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> [...]

ok, I've uploaded the tar.gz.  We should avoid the .bz2 in future if
it causes problems.

--
--j.

RE: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.1 available

Posted by Martin <ma...@ntlworld.com>.

Martin

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.1 available

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

On 3/19/10 4:05 PM, Jim Knuth wrote:
> /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell
>
> and then  install Mail::SpamAssassin

noop.  obviously the mirror(s) that I am pointing to are not updated.

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.
schrieb Michael Scheidell:
> On 3/19/10 2:37 PM, Jim Knuth wrote:
>> schrieb Michael Scheidell:
>>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dist/spamassassin/source/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.gz.md5
>>>

>>> error 404
>>> the requested file is not found on this server.
>>>

>> use CPAN, everything is ok. :)
>>
> Attempting to fetch from http://at.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Mail/.
> fetch:
> http://at.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Mail/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.gz: Moved
> Temporarily
>
> => Attempting to fetch from
> http://backpan.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Mail/.
> fetch:
> http://backpan.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Mail/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.gz:
> Not Found

/usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell

and then  install Mail::SpamAssassin

--
mit freundlichem Gruss
with kind regard

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.1 available

Posted by Michael Scheidell <li...@secnap.com>.

Posted by Jim Knuth <jk...@jkart.de>.

Posted by Jason Bertoch <ja...@i6ix.com>.
On 2010/03/19 2:24 PM, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> On 3/19/10 12:31 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
>> Release Notes -- Apache SpamAssassin -- Version 3.3.1
>>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/spamassassin/source/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.gz.md5
>
> error 404
> the requested file is not found on this server.

I haven't found any mirrors with the new version either.

--
/Jason

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.1 available

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.

Posted by Mikael Syska <mi...@syska.dk>.
Hi

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Justin Mason wrote:
>
>> Release Notes -- Apache SpamAssassin -- Version 3.3.1
>>

> The Ubuntu package for hardy is *way* out of date and seemingly stuck at 3.2.5, Is it safe to update via CPAN and still retain compatibility with apt-get/aptitude?

Since the last version before 3.3.0 was 3.2.5 ... its not outdated ...
but yes, its old ...

> Cheers!

muh
Mikael Syska

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.3.1 available

Posted by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net>.