Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Makis P <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/09 14:58:03 UTC

General Instructions about Mahout

Hello everyone!

I am new to mahout and a university student! As a part for my diploma thesis
i must use mahout's k-means algorithm and change it a little bit to produce
code that will solve some of the problems i study.My main interest now is
clustering!
I send this message because i seek general information about mahout , and how
to use it.

First of all let me tell you what i have done so far:

1) I downloaded the book "Μahout Cookbook" , and i followed the instructions
and i set up hadoop and maven.
2) And after that i followed these instructions
http://imxiangyu.blogspot.gr/2013/08/how-to-setup-mahout-in-eclipse.html of
how to setup mahout in eclipse

Now in eclipse mahout , mahout-buildtools etc , but no mahout-core jars as
far as i can see. So i installed mahout ( assuming that that installation was
OK ) and now how should i proceed to work with mahout? How can i run the code
given via eclipse?

My question is if somebody could give the general idea of how things work
with eclipse and mahout. Or if somebody has a tutorial that described such
things.

Thanks in advance for any help.

With friendly greetings,
Makis

Re: General Instructions about Mahout

Posted by Shahid Shaikh <sh...@gmail.com>.
yes downloading the source code and building that in Eclipse will be good
choice for that you need to have maven installed and configured on your
machine . Once you are done you can simply configure the mahout
distribution in you class path to use the classes of mahout and create your
own project to proceed with examples .

you also would need hadoop distribution for compilation of the mahout
source code.

Cheers :)

Regards,
Shaikh Shahid G .