Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Benjamin Yeo <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/17 09:04:55 UTC

Integrating SpamAssassin With James Server 2.3.1

Hi Guys. I've just downloaded  the latest SpamAssassin and I want to
integrate with my mail server James 2.3.1.

I have some questions that I can't seems to find answers to on the wiki of
spamassassin.

Is there blacklisting options that I can use per user that stores this data
in the database? Is there also greylisting options that I can use per user?

For greylisting, I am going to hold the email before sending a verification
check to the sender of the email. When verification is done successfully,
if fail, email will be discarded, if successful, email will then be sent.
Is this at SpamAssassin's level or James's level? I have been trying to
integrate and try out everything but still nothing.

Thanks for looking at this.

Regards.

Re: Integrating SpamAssassin With James Server 2.3.1

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 17.04.2016 um 09:04 schrieb Benjamin Yeo:
> Hi Guys. I've just downloaded  the latest SpamAssassin and I want to
> integrate with my mail server James 2.3.1.

dunno how to do this - maybe the server has a milter-interface or maybe
as on a "james" list

> I have some questions that I can't seems to find answers to on the wiki
> of spamassassin.
>
> Is there blacklisting options that I can use per user that stores this
> data in the database?

dunno - i would generate userprefs files based on database content if i
would find per-user settings useable

> Is there also greylisting options that I can use
> per user?

greylisting is based on IP address and not job of the contentfilter at all

> For greylisting, I am going to hold the email before sending a
> verification check to the sender of the email. When verification is done
> successfully, if fail, email will be discarded, if successful, email
> will then be sent. Is this at SpamAssassin's level or James's level? I
> have been trying to integrate and try out everything but still nothing

greylisting is *always* job of the MTA and you *never* discard mail -
you REJECT it or deliver it

Re: Integrating SpamAssassin With James Server 2.3.1

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 17 Apr 2016, at 3:04, Benjamin Yeo wrote:

> Hi Guys. I've just downloaded  the latest SpamAssassin and I want to
> integrate with my mail server James 2.3.1.
>
> I have some questions that I can't seems to find answers to on the
> wiki of
> spamassassin.
>
> Is there blacklisting options that I can use per user that stores this
> data
> in the database?

See https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsingSQL for how to put
user_prefs records in a database that spamd can use. That page only
shows a few of the settings that can go into user_prefs, but you can
also put just about anything that can go into local.cf into user_prefs,
including blacklist/whitelist directives.

> Is there also greylisting options that I can use per user?

SpamAssassin is a message data analysis framework, not a SMTP session
management tool. As such, it operates at the end-of-data phase of SMTP
and so has no role in greylisting.

> For greylisting, I am going to hold the email before sending a
> verification
> check to the sender of the email.

That is an inherently abusive practice. Do not do it. There are a
significant number of mail systems which reject all verification
attempts as well as all other mail from sites they believe to be using
that misguided tactic, which is entirely reasonable.

> When verification is done successfully,
> if fail, email will be discarded, if successful, email will then be
> sent.
> Is this at SpamAssassin's level or James's level? I have been trying
> integrate and try out everything but still nothing.

Just don't do it. The fact that you need to ask that question makes it
clear that you don't understand how SMTP mail works well enough to do
minimally abusive and reasonably functional sender verification and so
are almost certain to repeat the naive mistakes that have been made by
most past implementations of this fundamentally bad idea.

Re: Integrating SpamAssassin With James Server 2.3.1

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 17.04.2016 um 14:23 schrieb RW:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:42:59 +0200
> Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
>> Am 17.04.2016 um 09:04 schrieb Benjamin Yeo:
>>> Hi Guys. I've just downloaded  the latest SpamAssassin and I want to
>>> integrate with my mail server James 2.3.1.
>>
>> as of small studies on mail server James install faqs, i would say :
>> forget it
>
> It looks like it is supported:
>
> https://james.apache.org/server/3/config-antispam.html

ok sorry youre right

https://github.com/apache/james-project/blob/master/server/app/src/main/resources/smtpserver-template.xml

 <!-- This MessageHandler could be used to check message against spamd
before -->
            <!-- accept the email. So its possible to reject a message
on smtplevel if a -->
            <!-- configured hits amount is reached. -->
            <!--
            <handler
class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.fastfail.SpamAssassinHandler">
                <spamdHost>127.0.0.1</spamdHost>
                <spamdPort>783</spamdPort>
                <spamdRejectionHits>10</spamdRejectionHits>
            </handler>

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

Re: Integrating SpamAssassin With James Server 2.3.1

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 17.04.2016 um 09:04 schrieb Benjamin Yeo:
> Hi Guys. I've just downloaded  the latest SpamAssassin and I want to
> integrate with my mail server James 2.3.1.

as of small studies on mail server James install faqs, i would say :
forget it

> I have some questions that I can't seems to find answers to on the wiki
> of spamassassin.
>
> Is there blacklisting options that I can use per user that stores this
> data in the database? Is there also greylisting options that I can use
> per user?
>
> For greylisting, I am going to hold the email before sending a
> verification check to the sender of the email. When verification is done
> successfully, if fail, email will be discarded, if successful, email
> will then be sent. Is this at SpamAssassin's level or James's level? I
> have been trying to integrate and try out everything but still nothing.
>
> Thanks for looking at this.
>
> Regards.

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer