Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2017/10/08 19:44:20 UTC

Git migration

Hi,

I'll start with Git migration of the "project" project (our parent pom):
* Create repo in gitbox
* Inject existing SVN mirror: git://git.apache.org/directory-project.git
* Update SCM URLs pom.xml
* Create a new release

King Regards,
Stefan

Re: Git migration

Posted by Lucas Theisen <lu...@pastdev.com>.
Awesome work, thanks for doing this

Re: Git migration

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks, Stefan !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Git migration

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Re: Git migration

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

FYI: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15254

Re: Git migration

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 10/08/2017 09:44 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll start with Git migration of the "project" project (our parent pom):
> * Create repo in gitbox

Actually I already failed at the first step :)

When I want to create the Git repo named "directory-project" I get error
message

    Could not create repository - it may already exist.

I assume that's because the a repo with that name already exists on
git.apache.org and github. I'll ask Infra how to proceed (if they can
first delete/rename the existing or if we need to choose a different name)

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: Git migration

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Stefan !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Git migration - Mavibot

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 11/26/2017 06:30 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 11/26/2017 07:51 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>

>> Le 25/11/2017 à 20:51, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>>> Somehow I missed Mavibot.
>>>
>>> I'll create the Gitbox repo. As there is no mirror yet I'll start a
>>> git-svn convert which takes several hours before I can push to Gitbox.
>>>
>>> Let me know if there is anything not yet committed.
>>
>> I still have some changes pending, but it's not really a problem, I can
>> apply them later on the git repo.
>
> Done: https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-mavibot.git

FYI: request to make SVN directories read-only and to fix default
branches on GitHub:

Re: Git migration - Mavibot

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 26/11/2017 à 18:30, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 11/26/2017 07:51 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>
>> Le 25/11/2017 à 20:51, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>>> Somehow I missed Mavibot.
>>>
>>> I'll create the Gitbox repo. As there is no mirror yet I'll start a
>>> git-svn convert which takes several hours before I can push to Gitbox.
>>>
>>> Let me know if there is anything not yet committed.
>> I still have some changes pending, but it's not really a problem, I can
>> apply them later on the git repo.
> Done: https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-mavibot.git

great, thanks !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Git migration - Mavibot

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Re: Git migration - Mavibot

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git migration - Mavibot

Re: Git migration - buildtools

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 28/10/2017 à 16:06, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 10/22/2017 08:42 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> I'll continue with buildtools...
> I'm still on it, here is an update:
>
> I have to do a "git svn clone" for all four projects:
> a) skins
> b) checkstyle-configuration
> c) junit-addons
> d) docker
>
> because for (a) the git mirror is outdated because the project was moved
> in SVN and for (b-d) no git mirror exists.
>
> Then I merge them all into the new buildtools git repo and move into
> sub-folders. I only merge the trunk/master, there are no branches
> anyway, but we also loose the tags which should not be big problem for
> those side projects.

The tags are still in the svn repo. Enough to point on them in the web
site, just in case. But you are right, it's not really a problem.

> Finally it's required to create an aggregator pom.xml in buildtools and
> in future we are going to release (a-c) together. The Maven release
> plugin doesn't (currently) support to release from sub-folders within a
> git repo. I don't think that's a problem, we don't release them anyway
> very often.
True.

Thanks for dealing with that, Stefan !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Git migration - buildtools

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 10/28/2017 04:06 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 10/22/2017 08:42 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> I'll continue with buildtools...
>
> I'm still on it, here is an update:
>
> I have to do a "git svn clone" for all four projects:
> a) skins
> b) checkstyle-configuration
> c) junit-addons
> d) docker
>
> because for (a) the git mirror is outdated because the project was moved
> in SVN and for (b-d) no git mirror exists.
>
> Then I merge them all into the new buildtools git repo and move into
> sub-folders. I only merge the trunk/master, there are no branches
> anyway, but we also loose the tags which should not be big problem for
> those side projects.
>
> Finally it's required to create an aggregator pom.xml in buildtools and
> in future we are going to release (a-c) together. The Maven release
> plugin doesn't (currently) support to release from sub-folders within a
> git repo. I don't think that's a problem, we don't release them anyway
> very often.

Done.

Additionally:
* Created a release, see separate vote thread
* Changed Jenkins builds, created dir-buildtools-deploy, removed the
previous
* Updated readme, added release process

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
I'll continue with buildtools...

Re: Git migration - server and studio

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 11/23/2017 07:44 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:

> It's done, infra (Gav) already created the gitbox repo and created
> master branch, the "value" branches are also there. I'll continue with
> cleanup at the weekend.
>
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-server.git
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-studio.git

I updated the Jenkins jobs.

Update of pom.xml and release procedure I'd do after the value branches
are merged back to master.

Re: Git migration - server and studio

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 09/11/2017 à 22:45, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 11/05/2017 03:06 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> Server and Studio are the next repos.
>>
>> I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15446 to delete
>> existing mirrors. Afterwards I'll create the Git repos in GitBox and
>> push the content of the existing Git mirror, including all branches and
>> tags.
>>
>> Please don't commit to Server and Studio meanwhile.
> The issue is not yet solved, sorry for that, feel free to commit anyway,
> don't want to block you.

I'm not blocked. I'm working on Mavibot atm, so all is ok.

Thanks for the feedback !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com