Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alireza Salimi <al...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/27 20:57:44 UTC

Collection Distribution vs Replication in Solr

Hi guys,

If we ignore the features that Replication provides (
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication#Features),
which approach is better?
Is there any performance problems with Replication?

Replications seems quite easier (no special configuration, ssh setting, cron
setting),
while rsync is a robust protocol.

Which one do you recommend?

Thanks

--
Alireza Salimi
Java EE Developer

Re: Collection Distribution vs Replication in Solr

Posted by Alireza Salimi <al...@gmail.com>.
So I have to ask my question again.
Is there any reason not to use Replication in Solr and use Collection
Distribution?

Thanks

Posted by Andre Bois-Crettez <an...@kelkoo.com>.
Indeed, I can not see any of the 3 images here :
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication#Admin_Page_for_Replication
It just displays the name of image file, as the img url seem to point to
a logged-only link such as this one :
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=replication.png

Is that oversight or by design, to force people to log into the wiki ?

André Bois-Crettez

Alireza Salimi wrote:
> I can't see those benchmarks, can you?
>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Replication is easier to manage and a bit faster. See the performance
>> numbers: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication
>>
>> --

Kelkoo SAS
Société par Actions Simplifiée
Au capital de € 4.168.964,30
Siège social : 8, rue du Sentier 75002 Paris
425 093 069 RCS Paris

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'attention exclusive de leurs destinataires. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, merci de le détruire et d'en avertir l'expéditeur.

Re: Collection Distribution vs Replication in Solr

Posted by Alireza Salimi <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alireza Salimi <al...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, and actually later I've found someone mentioned that
they had done some benchmarks and found that replication
is faster than collection distribution.

Thanks

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.