Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2012/10/27 06:09:19 UTC

Keeping messages forever?

Hello,

Kafka can remove messages after some TTL.
Can one set a TTL like -1 that effectively keeps messages forever?  If so, does that have any negative effect on performance, scalability, or stability?

Thanks,
Otis
----
Performance Monitoring for Solr / ElasticSearch / HBase - http://sematext.com/spm

Re: Keeping messages forever?

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Currently, we don't support -1 as TTL. However, you can put an arbitrarily
large value there. The implication is that if you data keeps growing,
eventually the broker runs out of storage and will shut itself down.
Another problem is that currently we keep the file handle of each log
segment open. So, at some point, the broker will run out of file handles.

Thanks,

Jun