Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Thomas Bernhard <tb...@yahoo.com> on 2007/10/23 17:22:35 UTC

Why the "unpublished" suffix?

Why do some subdirectories have the "-unpublished" suffix?

Is it still needed?
(to me, this just makes the directories longer).

Thanx,
Tom.

Re: Why the "unpublished" suffix?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

On Nov 4, 2007, at 3:53 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> It might still be easier to have cayenne-core and cayenne-jdk1.[x
> +1] at all times.
> That avoids us having to move 99% of the code to a new project and
> update all the maven paths,

Doesn't matter to me much... the current module names are self
explanatory, but otherwise no difference. Every time we increment the
base JDK version, we'd have to merge one of the modules anyways. E.g.
right now we can either merge jdk1.4 to jdk1.5 or do it in the
opposite direction and rename jdk1.4 folder once it's done. Regarding
maven - only two poms need to be updated. Also one Eclipse project
will have to be removed from workspace.

> plus all the Confluence docs every time a JDK update is required.

Exported docs are located in "cayenne/docs/doc" folder, so those are
not affected by the merge.

> Although I guess with the right svn commands the history of all the
> files will be preserved however we move things around, so it
> shouldn't matter too much.

Right.

Andrus

Re: Why the "unpublished" suffix?

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
It might still be easier to have cayenne-core and cayenne-jdk1.[x+1]
at all times. That avoids us having to move 99% of the code to a new
project and update all the maven paths, plus all the Confluence docs
every time a JDK update is required.

Although I guess with the right svn commands the history of all the
files will be preserved however we move things around, so it
shouldn't matter too much.

Ari

-------------------------->

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 24, 2007, at 3:08 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

> Should 1.4's code just merge over to 1.5 then?

Yep. That's how I thought we'd handle the Java 5 switch.

Andrus

Re: Why the "unpublished" suffix?

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.
Actually, I hadn't thought of that.  But, given that Java6 introduced new
javax.sql API methods, that could very well be the case.

Should 1.4's code just merge over to 1.5 then?

--
Kevin

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.