Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Ossi <lo...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/12 12:47:53 UTC

Flume 0.9.x vs Flume NG

hi,

will Flume 0.9.x have any progress or are  all of developers focusing on
Flume NG (which might be perfectly fine in a long term)?
For me it looks that Flume 0.9.x isn't developed very actively nor isn't
getting any bug fixes. There is now 3 blockers and 9 critical
issues for Flume 0.9.x, can we expect those to be fixed for 0.9.5 or should
we wait NG?

Background for my question is that we have been planning to take Flume in
(production) usage, but so far it hasn't been too
stable nor reliable. But since we need to use flow isolation and thus also
automatic agent-collector mapping, it might be that those are likely to
have problems.
Both are marked as "Experimental/Development - feature is in development
and will likely have issues. API may change significantly. Be prepared to
go into code."
at https://cwiki.apache.org/FLUME/feature-status.html.

Regards,
Ossi

Re: Flume 0.9.x vs Flume NG

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
Ossi:

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Ossi <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> will Flume 0.9.x have any progress or are  all of developers focusing on
> Flume NG (which might be perfectly fine in a long term)?
> For me it looks that Flume 0.9.x isn't developed very actively nor isn't
> getting any bug fixes. There is now 3 blockers and 9 critical
> issues for Flume 0.9.x, can we expect those to be fixed for 0.9.5 or
> should we wait NG?

There are people interested in seeing a 0.9.x release that fixes those
issues. That said, most of the effort is concentrated on the NG branch as
you've noticed. I personally think we can have an alpha release of NG
before the new year but it mostly depends on getting the time. Beyond that,
I think it's really important to see NG pushed to a well tested, stable,
release in early 2012. The community around NG specifically has been
building with a lot of interest from some large scale early adopters so I
think this is feasible.

> Background for my question is that we have been planning to take Flume in
> (production) usage, but so far it hasn't been too
> stable nor reliable. But since we need to use flow isolation and thus also
> automatic agent-collector mapping, it might be that those are likely to
> have problems.
> Both are marked as "Experimental/Development - feature is in development
> and will likely have issues. API may change significantly. Be prepared to
> go into code."
> at https://cwiki.apache.org/FLUME/feature-status.html.

I think that's a fair concern to have. Ideally we'd be able to make these
features stable in NG in the near term and you'd be able to use that.

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer