Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Cliff <ma...@mattcliff.com> on 2003/11/08 00:19:11 UTC

[math] patch to remove the firstDerivative() secondDerivative()

Attached is a patch that will remove the firstDerivative and
secondDerivative methods from UnivarateRealFunction,   this affects only
the UnvariateRealFunction interface and the InterpolatorTest class.  (also
affected is some Javadoc in the analysis test package).

  I choose not add a UnivariateRealDifferentiableFunction at this time,
primary not to complicate matters while trying to get a 1.0 release
compelte.  (my intent is to make a Differnetiator type of pattern similar
to the Solver pattern)

   The reason I wish to remove the *Derivative() methods from the Function
interface is that the class of differentiable functions is MUCH smaller
than non-differentiable ones,  if we leave these in the interface it would
enable the Solver (and other numerical methods) to take advantage of the
derivative calculation that is not available in a large class of problems.

--
      Matt Cliff
      Cliff Consulting

      The label said install Windows 98 or better so I installed Linux.