Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/01 15:29:03 UTC

update checker

An idea from JL:

should we do sthg like the update checker of ehcache?

http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/net.sf.ehcache/ehcache-core/2.4.0/net/sf/ehcache/util/UpdateChecker.java

- Romain

Re: update checker

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
because it was visible.

if we manage to do it in parallel it will not be visible so nobody will
shout, no?

- Romain

Re: update checker

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: update checker

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: update checker

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
shouldn't cost anything

Re: update checker

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: update checker

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
it doesn't really match,

Re: update checker

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: update checker

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: update checker

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: update checker

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
yep i agree, for now here are the
messages org.apache.openejb.util.UpdateChecker#message, any idea to enhance
it is welcome. Should we do as hibernate and so on using code for message
too? kind of "OEJB-1234 you are not up-to-date"?

- Romain

Re: update checker

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: update checker

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
it is currently deactiated by default.

can be turn on by activating a syst prop which can be put in
system.properties or ~/.openejb/system.properties. I think it is a good
compromise since it can always be activated if a user wants but it doesn't
modify the default behavior.

Re: update checker

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Reaching out to some external server would never go well in the production environments of the organizations that I am and have worked at.  They're really kind of anal about that kind of stuff.

With that said, nobody sits down with a bag of beer and chips and casually scans the logs, not when there are thousands of logs to scan. :)  The engineers have to setup some kind of Splunk report.  I'm sure they would opt for a simple announcement list to be notified of updates and security issues.

Re: update checker

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: update checker

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.