Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Ro...@us.hsbc.Com on 2002/12/12 21:37:02 UTC

Dos Attack via Xerces

I recently received a security alert regarding Xerces XML parsers (see
below). We have recently implemented an application that uses Castor, which
uses Xerces 1.4.4, to parse XML requests for data. Are there any changes in
the works to Xerces to combat this issue?

The Xerces XML parser included in multiple vendors' web services products
is used to parse XML documents that contain Document Type Definitions
(DTD).  A remote attacker may configure the attributes of a document or
object within a DTD or Simple Object Access Protocol message to cause a
denial of service (DoS) attack against web systems running the parser.
The malicious DTD sends the parser into an almost infinite loop, which
exhausts CPU resources.

 errors or omissions.

Re: Dos Attack via Xerces

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
See recent discussion in the developers' list; several possible approaches
have been proposed, with some discussion of their
practicality/desirability.