Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Tokalak Ahmet <to...@yahoo.de> on 2009/04/23 10:06:19 UTC

Pagemap locking issue

Hi all,

i'm developing a wicket application, in which i have to lookup mutiple tables with millions of datasets depending of the user inputs.
Any operation on these tables is very time consuming not to talk about join operations ... (A request can take a few seconds or some minutes to complete)

Since we have changed to production mode we are facing very often with pagemap locking errors which is big annoyance.

I have increased the timeout value using getRequestCycleSettings().setTimeout(Duration.minutes(10)), which isn't a solution.

The problem ist that long running requests block new requests (some requests running undefinitely long?).
In our application we see that long running time consuming requests are blocking the whole application (tomcat).
I think that long running request should be aborted after the timeout.
This is a severe problem for us and could lead to the decision to give up Wicket.
Does anybody has any idea to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance.

AW: Pagemap locking issue

Posted by Tokalak Ahmet <to...@yahoo.de>.
Thanks for your feedback Martijn.
Yes, you're right. I will solve this issue using threads.

________________________________
Why would you want your users to wait for 1 minute to get results? On
what planet and time/space continuum do you expect users to wait for
that?

Don't do the computation in the request thread. Compute the stuff in a
separate thread, process or whatever and subscribe the user's
session/page/whatever to a future outcome of that thread, and then
rendering that directly.

Sounds more like an application design issue than anything related to wicket.

Martijn

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Tokalak Ahmet <to...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm developing a wicket application, in which i have to lookup mutiple tables with millions of datasets depending of the user inputs.
> Any operation on these tables is very time consuming not to talk about join operations ... (A request can take a few seconds or some minutes to complete)
>
> Since we have changed to production mode we are facing very often with pagemap locking errors which is big annoyance.
>
> I have increased the timeout value using getRequestCycleSettings().setTimeout(Duration.minutes(10)), which isn't a solution.
>
> The problem ist that long running requests block new requests (some requests running undefinitely long?).
> In our application we see that long running time consuming requests are blocking the whole application (tomcat).
> I think that long running request should be aborted after the timeout.
> This is a severe problem for us and could lead to the decision to give up Wicket.
> Does anybody has any idea to solve this problem?
> Thanks in advance.

Apache Wicket 1.3.5 is released

Re: Pagemap locking issue

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.