Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <de...@me.com> on 2009/06/11 12:03:21 UTC

My New Priority: Collaboration on Requirements and Designs

The last major priority that I pushed on was clean ups and
enhancements to the framework. While there are still some big
improvements coming along (new authorization approach and more AJAX/
etc stuff come to mind), I think we've made huge progress on that and
the framework is significantly cleaner and far more helpful when
writing business applications.

I've mentioned this a little bit and started putting some seed
material together, and the next high level priority that I'd like to
work on (and work with others on!) is to add collaboration on
requirements and designs to our existing excellent collaboration on
implementation.

What I mean by that is instead of collaborating mostly through the
code and lower level artifacts I'd like to work with others on higher
level artifacts including requirements (organized by process from an
end-user organization perspective) and designs based on those
requirements, and then use those designs to improve OFBiz. The most
important improvement that should result from this is that we have
applications that are designed to support various business activities
and that better meet the needs of various types of end-users. These
may be improvements to the existing base "applications", and many will
work best as "specialpurpose" applications that are based on the base
applications and that more directly address the needs of certain users.

There are some exciting possibilities for this. One of them that seems
interesting to lots of people right now is to create an application
that OFBiz itself will use. Once that happens we can make sure it
works well for other open source projects (both in and out of the ASF)
and make using it a no-brainer choice that will not only help the
world of open source in general, but also be perhaps the best form of
marketing that OFBiz could ask for as an open source project with no
real marketing budget.

There are many other types of organizations we could target, and what
I've started working on to help us collaborate on requirements
acknowledges this. Some of these organization types will share
business activities and can share requirements, designs, and
implementations. Others will have some pretty unique requirements. For
example there are many things that an open source project does that
service providers also do (such as manage tasks and issues), but also
many things that each does that the other does not (open source
projects don't typically invoice for work done, collect against
receivables, etc).

One other important aspect of this is documentation. A few people have
written on the mailing lists and to me personally about this recently.
My opinion is that this collaboration on requirements will be the
single most important effort to prepare for a successful documentation
effort. The requirements themselves (and overlap information with OOTB
apps and links to designs that are implemented) have some value as
implicit documentation, and more importantly provide a foundation and
structure that is consistent with what end-users are looking for and
will help organize a large volume of information. IMO that is one of
the biggest problems with documentation efforts to date: it is not
consistently organized, and it is very tough in general to organize it.

Anyway, here is the main page for what I'm calling the "Universal
Business Process Library":

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBREQDES/Universal+Business+Process+Library+Index

The name is based on the concept of the "Universal Data Model" that we
got from "The Data Model Resource Book, Revised Edition, Volumes 1 and
2" (and the new Volume 3 is pretty interesting too). The trick is that
there doesn't seem to be such a thing in existence, at least not in a
form that is useful to OFBiz. There are lots of standards and other
efforts that have some great seed material for this, like the UBL and
OAGIS standards which document information flow between organizations
at many different points during business processes, but have a focus
on what is external to an organization instead of one that is
internal, which is much of what OFBiz provides.

For those who want to get involved, there is a quick introduction to
UBPL here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBREQDES/UBPL+Introduction

To help people get a quick understanding of the artifacts (documents)
and process I have in mind for doing these requirements, overlap
analysis, designs, etc I'm working on a shorter version of the "HEMP"
book that I've slowly been assembling for the last few years (and more
formally in the last 1.5 years). I'll send out information on that ASAP.

The most mature high level story for a particular type of organization
is the "Story of Online Retail Company" which you can find here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBREQDES/Story+of+Online+Retail+Company

That high level story has links to the more detailed stories, many of
which can be shared with other types of organizations and so they are
organized separately under the "General Business Process Stories"
section of the UBPL Index page.

===============================

Sorry for the long email! I know I've also written something similar
to this before, and there is a reason I'm writing about it again! I'll
be presenting about this at OSCON in July, and probably also at
ApacheCon in November, but there is another reason.

Another benefit to this pattern is that if used for projects that
involve customization of OFBiz it will significantly increase chances
of success in terms of overall efficiency and also effective
applicability to the end-user organization.

Helping others do just that is what I have chosen for the next step of
my career. To pursue that direction I have recently resigned from
Hotwax Media and returned to being an Independent Consultant. My hope
is that by doing this I can work with more of you and do so in a way
that best meets your needs. For more information see my recent blog
post on the topic (at http://osofbiz.blogspot.com/) and my new web
site (at http://www.dejc.com/).

My vision for the future is to solve the biggest problem that OFBiz
has right now (applicability to end-user organizations) and the
biggest problem most service providers have (successfully tailoring
OFBiz to the needs of their clients)... which also happens to be the
biggest opportunity for service providers too.

I look forward to collaborating a lot more with a lot more of you!

-David

Re: My New Priority: Collaboration on Requirements and Designs

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
As I mentioned in the email below I've been working on the lightweight
version of this analysis and design process, the one I propose to use
for the UBPL effort.

It is now available here (link at the bottom of the page):

http://www.dejc.com/home/HEMP.html

Comments and feedback are welcome on this! I imagine this "HEMP light"
document and the ones that follow will go through a goodly number of
revisions. :)

-David

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
On Jun 11, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> David E Jones wrote:
>> The last major priority that I pushed on was clean ups and
>> enhancements to the framework. While there are still some big
>> improvements coming along (new authorization approach and more AJAX/
>> etc stuff come to mind), I think we've made huge progress on that
>> and the framework is significantly cleaner and far more helpful
>> when writing business applications.
>
> The new authorization approach has been discussed, but very little
> work has been done. Maybe you should finish that priority before
> starting a new one.

One must set priorities... are you saying you disagree with the
priorities as I've stated (ie the requirements gathering to drive
refinements and new development is more important than the security
changes)?

I must admit I would like to do the security changes too... but I
don't think it's as important (not for me and not right now anyway).

>> What I mean by that is instead of collaborating mostly through the
>> code and lower level artifacts I'd like to work with others on
>> higher level artifacts including requirements (organized by process
>> from an end-user organization perspective) and designs based on
>> those requirements, and then use those designs to improve OFBiz.
>> The most important improvement that should result from this is that
>> we have applications that are designed to support various business
>> activities and that better meet the needs of various types of end-
>> users. These may be improvements to the existing base
>> "applications", and many will work best as "specialpurpose"
>> applications that are based on the base applications and that more
>> directly address the needs of certain users.
>
> I would like to be a part of that.

Excellent!

>> Helping others do just that is what I have chosen for the next step
>> of my career. To pursue that direction I have recently resigned
>> from Hotwax Media and returned to being an Independent Consultant.
>
> So, you're back to eating macaroni and cheese? ;-)

I'm more of a soaked grain kind of guy than a mac & cheese fellow. I
gave that up in college... though it was more ramen noodles for me. ;)

Actually, it's more like I'm stepping away from investments and
getting back to earning some money. It's really nice to be able to
work for a week and survive off that for the rest of the month, and
work on more interesting things that often have more impact too. Not
that I'm there yet... I need to shed a couple of other "investments"
first. :(

Right now I wish that I had invested in AR-15 rifles over the last few
years instead of real estate and software consulting... I could have a
few hundred grand sitting in the bank (thanks to John Stewart on his
Daily Show for pointing out that missed opportunity!). ;)

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> The last major priority that I pushed on was clean ups and enhancements
> to the framework. While there are still some big improvements coming
> along (new authorization approach and more AJAX/etc stuff come to mind),
> I think we've made huge progress on that and the framework is
> significantly cleaner and far more helpful when writing business
> applications.

The new authorization approach has been discussed, but very little work
has been done. Maybe you should finish that priority before starting a
new one.

> What I mean by that is instead of collaborating mostly through the code
> and lower level artifacts I'd like to work with others on higher level
> artifacts including requirements (organized by process from an end-user
> organization perspective) and designs based on those requirements, and
> then use those designs to improve OFBiz. The most important improvement
> that should result from this is that we have applications that are
> designed to support various business activities and that better meet the
> needs of various types of end-users. These may be improvements to the
> existing base "applications", and many will work best as
> "specialpurpose" applications that are based on the base applications
> and that more directly address the needs of certain users.

I would like to be a part of that.

> Helping others do just that is what I have chosen for the next step of
> my career. To pursue that direction I have recently resigned from Hotwax
> Media and returned to being an Independent Consultant.

So, you're back to eating macaroni and cheese? ;-)

-Adrian

Re: My New Priority: Collaboration on Requirements and Designs

Posted by Shi Yusen <sh...@langhua.cn>.
Great!

在 2009-06-11四的 04:03 -0600,David E Jones写道:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
this probably sound off the wall, but i think a good starting point for
all businesses is a Business plan.
I adopted this as my primary model for creating other Business
processes, based on the type of business.

David E Jones sent the following on 6/15/2009 4:20 AM:

--
BJ Freeman
http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation