Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/07/19 20:59:07 UTC

Crazy idea of the day: Guest Blog Posts

So far we've used our blog as a project blog, with an editorial voice
that one could call "the voice of the project".  We use it for
official announcements, updates, etc.  This is perfectly fine, and we
can keep it that way.  But the volume of posts is rather low.

I've tried to supplement it by interviews of others in the project or
the broader ecosystem.  But even though everyone thought this was a
great idea, I seem to be the only one doing this.

So, another idea is to allow guest posts from others in the ecosystem,
project members, users, consultants, extension authors, etc.

We could set some parameters to prevent problems.  For example, we
could accept drafts to the mailing list and a volunteer Editor would
help edit the posts to our standards.  The PMC would maintain
editorial control via normal means (reviewing posts before they go
live).  We would require the post be relevant to the project, helpful
to users in their use of OpenOffice, and not be entirely a commercial
product pitch.  For example, we could limit posts to one link back to
the author's (or company's) homepage or product page.

What do you think?  If we allowed this, would we get more blog
submissions?  Would it help the overall ecosystem?

-Rob

Re: Crazy idea of the day: Guest Blog Posts

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
KG01 - See comments inline.

On Jul 20, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> So far we've used our blog as a project blog, with an editorial voice
>>> that one could call "the voice of the project".  We use it for
>>> official announcements, updates, etc.  This is perfectly fine, and we
>>> can keep it that way.  But the volume of posts is rather low.
>>>
>>> I've tried to supplement it by interviews of others in the project or
>>> the broader ecosystem.  But even though everyone thought this was a
>>> great idea, I seem to be the only one doing this.
>>>
>>> So, another idea is to allow guest posts from others in the ecosystem,
>>> project members, users, consultants, extension authors, etc.

KG01 - UX would like to contribute content. Cycles permitting :)

>>> We could set some parameters to prevent problems.  For example, we
>>> could accept drafts to the mailing list and a volunteer Editor would
>>> help edit the posts to our standards.  The PMC would maintain
>>> editorial control via normal means (reviewing posts before they go
>>> live).  We would require the post be relevant to the project, helpful
>>> to users in their use of OpenOffice, and not be entirely a commercial
>>> product pitch.  For example, we could limit posts to one link back to
>>> the author's (or company's) homepage or product page.
>>>
>>> What do you think?  If we allowed this, would we get more blog
>>> submissions?  Would it help the overall ecosystem?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

>> I like this idea...I'm not sure how to solicit input -- announcement list?
>> users list?, but it sounds good. I, personally, am not a blogger and do not
>> care to be interviewed. But, we may find some user fans who would like
>> nothing better to say a few things.

KG01 - I think it would be great to have some real users share their success stories. Evernote's ambassador program is great example. Users could talk about how they use AOO in their lives. This is also a great way to promote new workflows and capabilities.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.