Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by peter pilsl <pi...@goldfisch.at> on 2003/06/17 12:53:25 UTC

[users@httpd] cgi-script runs under apache1 but not under apache2

I use to programm loads of perl and mod_perl so I consider myself a bit
experienced in this topic, but now I have to migrate a 3rd-party application
from apache1 to apache2 and I simply fail.

The application is running very fine under apache1 and very fine under the
commandline. It produces some of the "usual" warningmessages like:
"uninitialized value in ..." or "meaningless use of .." but these are the same
under apache1 and should not make the difference. (It shows however that the
programmers of the application did not do their job well ...)

However: as soon as I run the application under apache2 (no mod_perl just simple
scriptalias) I simply get a timeout. Smaller scripts run fine, but the more
complex ones fail.
I cant detect any unusual errormessages and when including some debugstatements
it just seams that the script freezes in the middle of nowhere for no reason.

I added loads of debugstatements  open (FH,">>debug"); print FH "A4\n"; close
FH; and this statements just stop at different locactions of the script at
statements that cannot crash the machine like "inc($a)" or something.

How is this possible ? Can there be too many errormessages from the script for
apache2 ?? IMHO many errormessages may irritate the client but I also tried to
access with wget and do no html-rendering and also the script freezes. I can see
the script running on the server and never coming to an end ... !?

Looks like a DeadLock caused by too many perl-warnings but I doubt if this is
possible.

Thnx,
peter

--