Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/01 15:16:45 UTC

Expected scope of "Adding Face Recognition to Photark" in GSoC 2011

Hi Luciano,

According to the thoughts I have shared before on the dev list regarding
this topic under the subject "How face recognition can be used to make
Photark gallery rich in details as well as in functionality", here's the
scope I would think.

1. Implement a Photark face recognition service module as a separate
package.

2. Implement the FaceRecognitionService class (in this case it recognizes
facebook friends for a given user) where it has the capability to train
given set of user IDs from face book  and recognize them in a given domain.

3.1 Provide back end support to add an option in gallery for each album, to
view how many and the names of face book friends inside a given album(which
will be a pretty handy and kind of new feature for Photark).

3.2 Provide UI support for 3.1

What are your suggestions (to add more option in the scope or change any
existing one) ? *such as* extending recognition to private name spaces or
Twitter or go with Twitter instead of Facebook.

So I would like to know whether this is the expected scope or whether it may
not attainable in the GSoC period or it is less than the expected scope from
this project idea ?

As I am already in the process of writing the proposal based on this, would
like to here your thoughts :-)

Thanks
--
Subash Chaturanga
University of Moratuwa

Blog - http://subashsdm.blogspot.com/
Twitter - http://twitter.com/subash89

Re: Expected scope of "Adding Face Recognition to Photark" in GSoC 2011

Posted by Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Luciano,
>
> As discussed, I have changed few places in the proposal [1] . Here is what
> I added to the previous proposal.
>
> *Under the proposal abstract I added this as last sentence.*
>
> So basically in this project I will implement a generic face recognition
> framework which can be used by other PhotArk face recognition related
> applications and implement a Facebook friend finder (later explain in
> detail) application using the above framework.
>
> *
> *
> *Under the implementation phase in the detailed description heading added
> this last.*
> *
> *
> *NOTE: If time permits as discussed with my mentor, I will also implement
> another simple application which is capable of training a given face in the
> index and search that particular face in local albums. (i.e user logged in
> and give set of images of his son and ask to train them for a given user id
> and then he can search the albums his son appears).*
> *
> *
> *And I didn't change the time line progress.*
> *
> *
> *So Luciano, I hope this what you expected. But if anything need to be
> changed please reply to this thread. I will do accordingly ASAP as tomorrow
> will be the deadline for proposals.*

Seems no further changes required. :-) So I will keep the proposal with the
latest changes.

Thanks

Posted by Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Luciano,
> >
> > According to the thoughts I have shared before on the dev list regarding
> > this topic under the subject "How face recognition can be used to make
> > Photark gallery rich in details as well as in functionality", here's the
> > scope I would think.
> >
> > 1. Implement a Photark face recognition service module as a separate
> > package.
> >
> > 2. Implement the FaceRecognitionService class (in this case it recognizes
> > facebook friends for a given user) where it has the capability to train
> > given set of user IDs from face book  and recognize them in a given
> domain.
> >

> > 3.1 Provide back end support to add an option in gallery for each album,
> > view how many and the names of face book friends inside a given
> album(which
> > will be a pretty handy and kind of new feature for Photark).
> >
> > 3.2 Provide UI support for 3.1
> >
> > What are your suggestions (to add more option in the scope or change any
> > existing one) ? *such as* extending recognition to private name spaces or
> > Twitter or go with Twitter instead of Facebook.
> >
> > So I would like to know whether this is the expected scope or whether it
> may
> > not attainable in the GSoC period or it is less than the expected scope
> from
> > this project idea ?
> >
> > As I am already in the process of writing the proposal based on this,
> would
> > like to here your thoughts :-)
> >

> I'd clarify more on what does it mean to "implement face
> recognitions", what use cases you are tying to support. And then a
> high level time line for some milestones (e.g when you think 1, 2, 3
> etc will be ready) which will be useful for measuring progress during
> mid-term evaluation.

Hi Luciano,
Here I am mainly focusing on implement a facebook friend finder inside
photark albums or images using face recognition on user's face book friends.
 That is implemented in *FacebookFaceRecognition(2)* service which uses *
FaceRecognitionService(1)* service.

In the updated proposal I have focused on implementing a generic *
FaceRecognitionService* and then I am implementing this face book related
face recognition thing as an application of "face recognitions". And then
provide UI support to it.

Is this what you meant, specifying  *implement "1" , **implement "2" ? *
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 23rd 2011:(Students starts coding)

   - 1.5 weeks : Define the package structure and finalize the Face
    Recognition Service and FacebookFace Recognition interfaces and add them.
   - 3.5 weeks: implement  FaceRecognitionService component - * implement
   "1"*
   - 2 weeks : Test the  FaceRecognitionService for local album images.

July 11th 2011:(Mentors and students begin submitting mid-term evaluations)

   - 0.5 week : Do testing for the submission of mid-term evaluations

July 15th 2011:(Mid-term evaluations deadline)

   - 1 week: Implement FacebookFaceRecognition service component. -
*implement "2"
   *
   - 1 week: Add a gallery UI option to use FacebookFaceRecognition service.
   - 1 week: for final testing
   - 1 week: for documentation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to this i am finishing *FaceRecognitionService * for mid term. *If
it is not sufficient I can reduce 2weeks of testing and start the
application implementation. *

Am I getting you correct Luciano ? or what you prefer is to add another
application(as I have only one application) ? Do you have another useful
face recognition application in your mind ? Then I can focus on that as well
in addition to the current one.

Thanks

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com>.
Hi Subash,

Your proposal looks good to me...+1

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Luciano,
>
> According to the thoughts I have shared before on the dev list regarding
> this topic under the subject "How face recognition can be used to make
> Photark gallery rich in details as well as in functionality", here's the
> scope I would think.
>
> 1. Implement a Photark face recognition service module as a separate
> package.
>
> 2. Implement the FaceRecognitionService class (in this case it recognizes
> facebook friends for a given user) where it has the capability to train
> given set of user IDs from face book  and recognize them in a given domain.
>

> 3.1 Provide back end support to add an option in gallery for each album, to
> view how many and the names of face book friends inside a given album(which
> will be a pretty handy and kind of new feature for Photark).
>
> 3.2 Provide UI support for 3.1
>
> What are your suggestions (to add more option in the scope or change any
> existing one) ? *such as* extending recognition to private name spaces or
> Twitter or go with Twitter instead of Facebook.
>
> So I would like to know whether this is the expected scope or whether it
> may
> not attainable in the GSoC period or it is less than the expected scope
> from
> this project idea ?
>
> As I am already in the process of writing the proposal based on this, would
> like to here your thoughts :-)
>

> Thanks
> --
> Subash Chaturanga
> Department of Computer Science & Engineering
> University of Moratuwa
> Sri Lanka
>
> Blog - http://subashsdm.blogspot.com/
> Twitter - http://twitter.com/subash89