Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Liz Kim <li...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/06 19:35:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Defining IPs in one place

I am allowing over 30 IP's & domain names into certain protected areas..
Is there a way to define these at one place and call them from the
<directory> instead of repeating the long list over and over again??
Thank you!

Re: [users@httpd] Defining IPs in one place

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 2/6/07, Liz Kim <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be ideal to keep the protections on /A/* as they are, while
> updating the protection on /A.
> However, it seems that adding "Satisfy any" on /A is disabling the
> protections on directories under /A.
> For example, /A/B now needs to satisfy any of /A's list of IP's, /A's
> password or /A/B's password.

No, /A/B will not be affected at all by /A's password if you define a
new set of auth directives for /A/B.  The Allow/Deny/Satisfy
directive, however, will carry over unless you override them in /A/B.

> The only solution I see is to define independent protections on /A and /A/*
> For example, /A would "Satisfy any" with a list of IP's and a password.
> /A/B would "Satisfy all" with the list of the same IP's a different
> password.

You should not need to relist the Allow/Deny directives in /A/B.  The
will be inherited from /A.  Just put "Satisfy All" in /A/B along with
whatever new password you want.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Defining IPs in one place

Posted by Liz Kim <li...@gmail.com>.
You're right. I did not even state the problem clearly.  Here I go again:

There is a directory /A which includes all our private data.  /A is
protected by allow/deny.
We want to add the option to access /A with a login/password when they are
not on one of the allowed IP's.
This requires "Satisfy any".

Under /A, there are various directories with all sorts of different
protections.
For example, there is /A/B which has a password protection.
Currently, a user has to be on a apporved domain (defined by the allow/deny
protection on /A) to even get to the login/password prompt.

It would be ideal to keep the protections on /A/* as they are, while
updating the protection on /A.
However, it seems that adding "Satisfy any" on /A is disabling the
protections on directories under /A.
For example, /A/B now needs to satisfy any of /A's list of IP's, /A's
password or /A/B's password.

The only solution I see is to define independent protections on /A and /A/*
For example, /A would "Satisfy any" with a list of IP's and a password.
/A/B would "Satisfy all" with the list of the same IP's a different
password.

Is there an easier solution anyone can think of??

Thanks!

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Liz Kim <li...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joshua..