Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/11/08 10:01:34 UTC

Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release

Wow, another four months have flown by since last time
that we tried to narrow down the list of issues.

All developers can assist with this, don't leave it to
the committers. If you want to see the 0.8 release then
please help.

We are down from 37 to 26 issues for filter "FOR-roadmap-dev".
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12310820

The main reason for the reduction is that last time we decided
to delay some issues. A little progress has also been made with
some other things.

I have added some comments below to explain the status of each.
When it is the same as last time, then i tried to summarise
previous comments.

I have tried to identify some that can be moved over to 0.9-dev.

Many issues seem to be the same as last time, even though they
only require some simple documentation. Please help.

------------------------
FOR-855 verify the license situation prior to each release

Because we let the release slip past the cut-off date 1 November,
we now need to fully meet the new policy. Main job is to organise
the license files for supporting products and refer to them.
See Cliff's doc linked from FOR-855.

------------------------
FOR-865 Add missing entries to status.xml to generate the changes list

Still need to review and move some out into each plugin.

Need to ensure each new plugin is mentioned in top-level status file.

Also need to set the importance attribute for some entries so that
they show up in our release notes.

------------------------
FOR-868 add relevant notes to the "Upgrading" xdoc

Needs attention.

------------------------
FOR-533 Auto Generate plugins.xml entry

Same as last time.
Ross explained what needs to happen and suggested we do this for 0.8

------------------------
FOR-639 define terminology for the various aspects of Dispatcher

Same as last time.
A doc has been started. We need more content.

Perhaps we just need a document to describe how to use Forrest as a web application.

------------------------
FOR-711 Cache results from the Locationmap

Same as last time.
Needs FAQ and get some comments from mail archives into docs.

------------------------
FOR-742 trouble accessing unversioned plugin for a released version of Forrest, e.g. projectInfo

Perhaps this can be closed. Cyriaque and Ross seem happy.

------------------------
FOR-241 character entities (e.g. ampersand) are expanded again for href or src attributes

Suggest delay until 0.9 as the issue has been around for a long time.

------------------------
FOR-200 Locationmap for Forrest and Users

Same as last time.
This must be getting close. Investigate.

------------------------
FOR-546 Sitemap reference doc should be updated to reflect plugin architecture

Same as last time.
Needs to be done.

------------------------
FOR-666 clarify the sitemap matches etc. in FAQ about non-skinned html

Delay until 0.9-dev.

------------------------
FOR-726 use locationmap in all of the plugins

Same as last time.
This must be getting close. Investigate.

------------------------
FOR-765 forrest war gets NoSuchMethodError for some core transformer

Same as last time.
Ask again for people to try a WAR archive.

------------------------
FOR-776 rationalise the pluginTemplate and current plugins to have minimal configuration files, etc.

Delayed to 0.9-dev

------------------------
FOR-901 Review the note on the home page about first forrest run and retrieving plugins from network

Same as last time.
Should be simple to test this and then fix the home page documentation.

------------------------
FOR-906 locationmap documentation explain this-to-that.xsl naming convention and default lm matches

Someone needs to do it.

------------------------
FOR-911 decide content of release

Need to investigate the linked mails and make a Proposal.

------------------------
FOR-922 update all docs that explain sitemap fragments

Reasonably simple documentation job. Find all docs that give sitemap examples
and ensure that they are current.

------------------------
FOR-936 Forrest "looses" the locale when switching pages

New issue.

------------------------
FOR-537 Plugin documentation sitemap references

Same as last time.
Need to explain using plugins in-place and change the refs to sitemap.xmap
into an example for a specific type of plugin, e.g. refer to the input.xmap
instead of sitemap.xmap file.

------------------------
FOR-671 Layering error of HTML headings breaks rest of the page w/o warning

Same as last time.
Document as FAQ.

------------------------
FOR-731 empty linkmap.html document, side-effect of workaround to FOR-675

Same as last time.
Investigate.

------------------------
FOR-767 Forrestbot webapp reports succesful even when there are broken links

There has been some Jira activity, but not yet resolved.

------------------------
FOR-861 Update locationmap docs for working with remote files

Same as last time.
Should be a simple documentation job. Ross provides the references.

------------------------
FOR-635 images not reproduced in PDFs, if sources are in xdocs/images directory

Gavin did some investigation. It is complex.
Suggest delay until 0.9-dev

------------------------
FOR-644 code-style cleanup for xml files

This should be able to be done just prior to release.
We had delayed this, but i reckon that it is worth trying.

------------------------

Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Gav.... wrote:
> > From: David Crossley

> > > I have done a heap a while ago. Since then i noticed a few
> > > entries being added but more new work needs to be mentioned.
> > >
> > > See "svn log status.xml" for date of last effort and
> > > browse forward in the mailing lists (dev and svn) to
> > > find more that should be mentioned.

I am not saying that i was thorough with that sweep
either. As you know it is difficult.

> > The last entry was for 19/09/2006. I have never updated this file, I will
> > take a look but may miss a few because I need to work out what is regarded
> > as major enough to be here.
>
> Up to the person doing the job to decide. Look at past entries
> for example. Think from the point-of-view of an outside person
> and what they need to be alerted to.

Of course one of the major things is when people have made
contributions, then we should add an entry. This gets them listed
in http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/changes.html#Contributors+to+this+release
and hopefully encourages them some more ;-)
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#contribution
and the discussion linked to in this FOR-865.

-David

Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:
> From: David Crossley
> >
> > > ------------------------
> > > FOR-865 Add missing entries to status.xml to generate the changes list
> > > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-865
> > >
> > > Still need to review ...
> >
> > I have done a heap a while ago. Since then i noticed a few
> > entries being added but more new work needs to be mentioned.
> >
> > See "svn log status.xml" for date of last effort and
> > browse forward in the mailing lists (dev and svn) to
> > find more that should be mentioned.
>
> The last entry was for 19/09/2006. I have never updated this file, I will
> take a look but may miss a few because I need to work out what is regarded
> as major enough to be here.

Up to the person doing the job to decide. Look at past entries
for example. Think from the point-of-view of an outside person
and what they need to be alerted to.

> > > ... and move some out into each plugin.
> >
> > Still needs doing.
>
> So plugin specific changes should not be here at all?

Correct.

> > > Need to ensure each new plugin is mentioned in top-level status file.
> >
> > Still needs doing.
> >
> > > Also need to set the importance attribute for some entries so that
> > > they show up in our release notes.
> >
> > Still needs doing.
> >
> > Patches welcome.
>
> So all entries need to be of a certain importance to warrant being there is
> the first place. From this list then we need to filter out the cream of the
> crop that made the most difference ? What level of importance gets shown up
> in the release notes?

That is described in FOR-865 ... importance=high

See also http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#prep
which gives the URL for automatically generating an announcement.
This gets hand tweaked to make the real one.

Also, there are notes related to some of the important ones
in /docs_0_80/upgrading_08.html

> > > ------------------------
> > > FOR-765 forrest war and classpath issues with Jetty
> > > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-765
> > >
> > > Same as last time.
> > > Ask again for people to try a WAR archive.
> >
> > Default config seems okay with Jetty 6 and Java 5.
>
> So what do we do here, create/update some docs to say to upgrade to
> latest Java, Latest Jetty (and Tomcat 6??) then close the issue.?

As part of the release process we need to decide the base
Java version. So perhaps this will be a factor. Can anyone
confirm the suitability of Java 1.4?

> > ------------------------
> > FOR-960 PNG Images not transparent in IE6 or below
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-960
> >
> > This one is a new addition to the roadmap.
>
> And this has always been an issue really, just not added to Jira until
> recently. I had suggested that using the MS proprietry AlphaImageLoader
> would cure the problem - which it would, but need to do other changes to
> get to that point. I am also thinking there may be another way of doing
> it.
>
> I will see about getting on with this again soon (I had a bit of an attempt
> last week/week before). I don't think it is important enough to keep on
> the 0.8 roadmap and hold up a release so if I don't get it done then we can
> certainly delay until 0.9.

There are many issues that would be "nice to do". Quite some
time ago we started pushing all non-essential issues over
to 0.9-dev. People can still work on those if they want to.
See http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html#filters
FOR-unscheduled and also the 0.9 Jira Road Map.

-David

Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> >>------------------------
> >>FOR-635 images not reproduced in PDFs, if sources are in xdocs/images
> >>directory
> >>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-635
> >>
> >>Gavin did some investigation. It is complex.
> >>Suggest delay until 0.9-dev
> >
> >?
>
> I see this as a significant issue, PDF generation is a commonly used
> feature. Whilst it only affects images in xdocs/images and therefore can
> be worked around it's a pretty ugly workaround.

See some comments in the issue. It is sort of connected to
having the main location at resources/images rather than xdocs/images.
Our documentation needs to be clear on that and our seed site
structures need to re-inforce it.

One trouble is that our normal sitemap/locationmap handling
of these has grown to be very complex to support previous
locations.

IIRC the *.fo pipeline leaves it up to a stylesheet to
figure out the image locations, which is no-where near
as powerful as our sitemap/locationmap ability.

> I feel sure it can be sorted out, but haven't looked at it.
>
> I guess that means I volunteer since Gav and yourself have looked over this.

I have not really tried to. Just built the demonstration
of the problems in the seed site samples/linking.html#images

-David

Re: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
>> ------------------------
>> FOR-533 Auto Generate plugins.xml entry
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-533
>>
>> Same as last time.
>> Ross explained what needs to happen and suggested we do this for 0.8
>
> Recent progress is being made.

I note your comments on this (separate thread), I'll complete this issue
- thanks for the review.

>> ------------------------
>> FOR-742 trouble accessing unversioned plugin for a released version of Forrest, e.g. projectInfo
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-742
>>
>> Perhaps this can be closed. Cyriaque and Ross seem happy.
>
> We will probably only be sure after we have done the release.

As far as I can tell it is all done but for ensuring that there is an
unversioned copy of each plugin in the 0.7 release tree. i.e. we copy
the most recent 0.7 versioned plugin to the root of the 0.7 download
with no version number.

I know this is ugly, but that's how the hack works ;-)

We'll move to Ivy deployment of plugins (or Cocoon blocks, if they are
versioned) in 0.9

>> ------------------------
>> FOR-635 images not reproduced in PDFs, if sources are in xdocs/images directory
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-635
>>
>> Gavin did some investigation. It is complex.
>> Suggest delay until 0.9-dev
>
> ?

I see this as a significant issue, PDF generation is a commonly used
feature. Whilst it only affects images in xdocs/images and therefore can
be worked around it's a pretty ugly workaround.

I feel sure it can be sorted out, but haven't looked at it.

I guess that means I volunteer since Gav and yourself have looked over this.

Ross

RE: review list of scheduled issues for 0.8 release

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

I have done some more work on this. It is possible that it is more
or less complete, but needs others to take a look to make sure what
I have put there is accurate and if there is anything else that can
go there.

As a side-effect of doing this I also updated two of the three howTo's
to reflect current practice, these really do need checking for accuracy,
but hope I got it right :)

> > Perhaps we just need a document to describe how to use Forrest as a web
> application.
>
> There is a patch provided. Can someone investigate.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-742 trouble accessing unversioned plugin for a released version of
> Forrest, e.g. projectInfo
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-742
> >
> > Perhaps this can be closed. Cyriaque and Ross seem happy.
>
> We will probably only be sure after we have done the release.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-241 character entities (e.g. ampersand) are expanded again for href
> or src attributes
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-241
> >
> > Suggest delay until 0.9 as the issue has been around for a long time.
>
> Ditto.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-765 forrest war and classpath issues with Jetty
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-765
> >
> > Same as last time.
> > Ask again for people to try a WAR archive.
>
> Default config seems okay with Jetty 6 and Java 5.

So what do we do here, create/update some docs to say to upgrade to
latest Java, Latest Jetty (and Tomcat 6??) then close the issue.?

> > ------------------------
> > FOR-911 decide content of release
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-911
> >
> > Need to investigate the linked mails and make a Proposal.
>
> I will work on that one after getting the Release Plan done.
>
> Will probably be similar size and packaging to
> last time, sorry. Next release we hope to use Ivy.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-922 update all docs that explain sitemap fragments
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-922
> >
> > Reasonably simple documentation job. Find all docs that give sitemap
> examples
> > and ensure that they are current.
>
> We have a "warning" workaround. However there is still
> time before the release for someone to patch these docs.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-731 empty linkmap.html document, side-effect of workaround to FOR-
> 675
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-731
> >
> > Same as last time.
> > Investigate.
>
> As Gav suggests, move to 0.9-dev.

Have moved it to 0.9.

> > ------------------------
> > FOR-861 Update locationmap docs for working with remote files
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-861
> >
> > Same as last time.
> > Should be a simple documentation job. Ross provides the references.
>
> Anyone can help.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-644 code-style cleanup for xml files
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-644
> >
> > This should be able to be done just prior to release.
> > We had delayed this, but i reckon that it is worth trying.
>
> I will attempt it straight after the code freeze starts.
>
> Need to work out an Ant target for a postfix to re-insert the
> removed space after inline closing tags (or maybe Tidy is fixed).
> Recently i noticed Cyriaque using a regexp replacement task,
> perhaps that will work for this.
>
> Everyone please get your changes contributed before that.
> Includes xml docs, configuration files, sitemaps, XSLs, etc.
>
> > ------------------------
> > FOR-635 images not reproduced in PDFs, if sources are in xdocs/images
> directory
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-635
> >
> > Gavin did some investigation. It is complex.
> > Suggest delay until 0.9-dev
>
> ?

Right now I'm out of puff on this issue, if someone else can pick it up
and sort it before the code freeze starts then great, otherwise I don't
think I will be able to take another look until after the release, as part
of the 0.9 roadmap.

> ------------------------
> FOR-960 PNG Images not transparent in IE6 or below
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-960
>
> This one is a new addition to the roadmap.

And this has always been an issue really, just not added to Jira until
recently. I had suggested that using the MS proprietry AlphaImageLoader
would cure the problem - which it would, but need to do other changes to
get to that point. I am also thinking there may be another way of doing
it.

I will see about getting on with this again soon (I had a bit of an attempt
last week/week before). I don't think it is important enough to keep on
the 0.8 roadmap and hold up a release so if I don't get it done then we can
certainly delay until 0.9.

Gav...

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
What is that rumbling sound? Seems like action towards a release.
Lets try to catch the train this time.

We need the help of the whole development community.
There are over 130 of us.
http://people.apache.org/~coar/mlists.html#forrest.apache.org

You don't need to be a committer to help.

Please review Jira issues and comment, suggest fixes,
improve vital documentation, and do testing.

The next step is to refine the list of scheduled issues
one final time. See below.

My next task is to propose a Release Plan to outline the
procedure and settle on specific dates for each stage.
Then we will vote on that. Being so explicit is good. It focusses
attention and encourages people to get involved. It should be
a fun and rewarding event for all to deliver a good product
that we can later use.

Anyway, let us now review the issues again.
When we reach a certain date in the Release Plan,
any remaining scheduled issues will just get their
Fix-Version attribute bumped to 0.9-dev
So let us do what we can until then.

Nov 08, 2006 David Crossley wrote:
> Wow, another four months have flown by since last time
> that we tried to narrow down the list of issues.

Wow, again :-)

> All developers can assist with this, don't leave it to
> the committers. If you want to see the 0.8 release then
> please help.

;-) ;-)

?