Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <Ol...@t-online.de> on 2004/06/27 19:51:44 UTC

[configuration]Hierarchical design

I finally found the time to work further on my hierarchical
configuration design. The code and some unit tests can be found at
       http://www.oliver-heger.privat.t-online.de/hierarchicalconfig.zip

Some explanations: There is an interface ConfigurationNode describing a
node in a hierarchical configuration. It is intended to be used mainly
by an ExpressionEngine, a component that resolves keys for configuration
properties and maps them to a (set of) configuration node(s). Different
implementations of the ExpressionEngine interface will allow to use
various ways of querying properties. An already requested extension
would be a XPath expression engine.

Some methods have been added to the Configuration interface to make it
more hierarchical. It is possible to access the configuration's parent,
and with the getChild() method direct or indirect children can be
accessed. Maybe the name getChild() is not really fitting. The methods
takes a property key as argument and evaluates it using the current
expression engine. The result must be a single node, for which a
Configuration object is created and returned. Such configurations are
really connected to the node structure of the original Configuration
object. So changes of properties can be immideately seen by both objects.

The subset() method in opposite supports property keys that evaluate to
arbitrary complex result sets. For the resulting nodes a
ViewConfiguration is created, which provides a logic view on the
original configuration structure. The view configuration is registered
as event listener at the root of the original configuration structure;
manipulations on that data cause the view configuration to be rebuilt.

There is also an alternative implementation of  CompositeConfiguration
using ViewConfiguration: The new CompositeConfiguration maintains a list
of sub configurations which can be inserted using the addConfiguration()
method and which can later be retrieved by name or by index. From the
configuration nodes contained in these sub configurations the
CompositeConfiguration constructs a logic node hierarchy. This is done
with the help of a NodeCombiner object, a means for combining two
configuration node hierarchies. There are implementations of the
NodeCombiner interface for creating override and union configurations.

I hope that this alternative implementation makes use of composite
configurations easier. Changes can be done on the sub configurations and
are immediately reflected in the composite. ConfigurationFactory could
become simpler with this approach, too.

Well, this is surely not perfect, but I hope there are some ideas that
are worth discussion. Please send me some comments!
Oliver