Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/03 20:10:28 UTC

documentation/wiki is a mess

The state of documentation and especially the wiki is a mess.  I'd like
to help clean this up, but I can't seem to reconcile the difference
between the XML documentation and the wiki.  Personally I feel the wiki
should be for development.  The XML should be installation and admin
guides only.

Additionally, another general complaint I have is that features are
basically only documented in the "4.x Design Documents" sections.  This
is not very useful and makes it impossible to find anything.
Additionally those documents are really more a statement of work.  There
should be a section for the design of cloudstack, organized into
functional areas.  So one can actually navigate the design.

The state of documentation of an open source projects says a lot about
the community that develops it...

Darren

RE: documentation/wiki is a mess

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
Please give us some examples ..

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Darren's 'We should be careful about "no X, no commit"' One
exception though; (unit)tests. And I can live with a #!human script
like Marty describes. Even though your point is valid, David,
developers (like me) have an internal company need for a fix or a
feature, and are inclined to work on it as priority shifts. It is not
a good idea to allow for features only as they are becoming proven
technology. When done they are done. When used they become documented.
When unused they will eventually leave the code base again.

no rant intended,
Daan

Posted by Tracy Phillips <tr...@mantoso.com>.
+1 to Marty.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.
On 09/05/2013 07:56 AM, David Nalley wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> -1 on no docs no submits.
>>
>> Docs are important to people that need a contribution they didn't
>> write themselves. The first ones are the ones to write docs where
>> missing. You contribute because you need code, not because you need
>> docs on it.
>>

> If the developer who wrote the code for a feature can't tell me (or
> the rest of the userbase) how it works and how to use it, then I
> question exactly how useful the feature is.

Everyone should be on the hook to document in some fashion.  The doc
writer are usually just better at it.

So as somebody who is more dev focused, I just don't know where to put
things.  I'm not about to touch the XML docs.  That seems like a doc
team's domain.

So personally I'd like to see a bit more organization in the wiki and
then a clear cut definition of when stuff goes to the XML.  Additional
proposals and design specs don't count as documenting functionality.
Those things are just SDLC artifacts.  Frankly I think the current
design template should have the scope, impact, and QA notes and then
link to another place in the wiki with the design.  As the development
is in progress the wiki page can be marked with WIP.

We should be careful about "no X, no commit" policies.  We don't want to
discourage contributions.  Documentation is useful and if somebody wants
to contribute then I think they would be inclined to put some

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
-1 on no docs no submits.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: documentation/wiki is a mess

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

Posted by Soheil Eizadi <se...@infoblox.com>.
Eliminate duplication, recently I updated the wiki about how to install the SystemVM template for development. I found that there are two places where setting up development environment is documented, one was a wiki that I could modify.
-Soheil

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+to+build+CloudStack
http://cloudstack.apache.org/develop/environment.html
The wiki is also for users as content gets added between releases as well.

But the developer content can certainly be reorganized.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.