Posted to user@atlas.apache.org by Cade Parker <ca...@civitaslearning.com> on 2018/11/27 16:03:17 UTC

Updating type system best practices

Hi, my team is looking for a standard process to handle type system changes
that may involve backwards incompatible changes (i.e. remove a previously
required field). Currently, Atlas denies any backwards incompatible changes
to the types system if entities for that type exist. Is there any
workaround for this behavior? For example, if I wanted to update a single
type that wasn’t related to any other types, is there a way to reconstruct
the type system without losing any data from the unrelated entity types?
Right now our process to update the type system requires us to wipe the
data from the system completely and start fresh. This works for our
development/testing cases, but will be a hindrance once we’re in
production. Are there any standard practices that we should follow for
handling different types of compatible/incompatible changes? I’ve looked
around on https://atlas.apache.org, but couldn’t find any documentation
with details on changing the type system.

Thanks
- Cade Parker, Civitas Learning Inc.