Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2004/05/03 01:52:57 UTC

[collections] Binary compatability for v3.1

Currently, as far as I can tell there are two binary incompatible changes on
the CVS for v3.1 over v3.0.

1) ReferenceMap (map package) now extends AbstractReferenceMap and
AbstractHasedMap whereas previously it extended AbstractMap. This was done
to gain lots of new functionality.

This is binary incompatible if you previously cast a ReferenceMap to an
AbstractMap. There is no good reason why you would have made this cast, so I
am in favour of allowing this change.

2) FixedSizeSortedMap now extends FixedSizeMap whereas previously it
extended AbstractSortedMapDecorator. This was done to share more code.

This is binary incompatible if you previously cast a FixedSizeSortedMap to
an AbstractSortedMapDecorator. There is no good reason why you would have
made this cast, so I am in favour of allowing this change.

Does anyone else have opinions on this? There are ways around both if
necessary. How far should we go on this kind compatability?

Stephen