Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by SuperUnknown <kn...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/15 05:09:31 UTC

Tutorials seem to be a recurring post, and its exactly what i need :)

Hello,

I have searched the forum for posts related to tutorials, and the answers
point to activemq examples etc.
Now i have no understanding of java/ant/maven etc, and find the examples
pretty much useless.

>From what i understand, running activemq requires 3 components:

1. Producer
2. Broker
3. Consumer

These 3 can reside on separate machines (or groups of machines)

The brokers can be clustered and communicate messages between each other as
the need arises.

Questions/tutorial ask:

1. Can activemq act as the interface on the producers? ie can the producer
machines have activemq installed that can connect to the broker
2. Can activemq act as the consumer?
3. Does anybody have step by step documentation (or write one;) ) that can
help me with configuring activemq as each component. It needs to start from
scratch and use as little java as possible.
4. Some examples of interfacing perl and activemq.

Re: Tutorials seem to be a recurring post, and its exactly what i need :)

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM, SuperUnknown
<kn...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have searched the forum for posts related to tutorials, and the answers
> point to activemq examples etc.
> Now i have no understanding of java/ant/maven etc, and find the examples
> pretty much useless.

The examples do give a good picture of how to use ActiveMQ and will
probably answer a lot of your questions. Might be worth brushing up a
little on java/ant/maven to the point where you can run the examples.

> From what i understand, running activemq requires 3 components:
>
> 1. Producer

Yes, this is the component that delivers data (messages) to the broker
(ActiveMQ)

> 2. Broker

This is ActiveMQ

> 3. Consumer

This is a component that is interested in receiving the data, and the
broker (ActiveMQ) delivers messages to the consumer.

> These 3 can reside on separate machines (or groups of machines)

Yes, this is true.

> The brokers can be clustered and communicate messages between each other as
> the need arises.

Yes, using network of brokers.

> Questions/tutorial ask:
>
> 1. Can activemq act as the interface on the producers? ie can the producer
> machines have activemq installed that can connect to the broker

Yes, the producer and the broker pieces can both be on the same machine if
desired. The broker can even be embedded in the producer.

> 2. Can activemq act as the consumer?

In a network of brokers scenario, activemq brokers are consumers of each
other. Is this what you meant?

Tim wrote an excellent "beginner" book that would suit you perfectly:
http://activemq.apache.org/books.html#Books-InstantApacheActiveMQMessagingApplicationDevelopment

> 4. Some examples of interfacing perl and activemq.

You should take a look at the STOMP protocol. There are some good perl
libraries for talking STOMP with ActiveMQ.

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta