Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Derek Brown <ze...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/10 20:07:51 UTC

Listeners behaving strangely

Hello,

I have a small app I'm playing around with. When I
click on some listeners they behave fine most of the
time. But once in a while, they will behave strangely,
and activate another tab in my application or take me
to some other part of the application. What could be
causing this kind of behaviour?

Thanks,
Derek

Where are your handlers?

Posted by Joe Andolina <jo...@andomation.com>.
Hello,
    Im having trouble building "clean" components. My app has several
components all handling their own events. With the exception of a few
events which are handled by the page (page.listeners.foo). As my app is
becomming more complex I am finding that I am having to put almost all
my handlers in the Border or Duplicate them in each Page. Is there a way
to call handlers that are attached to components on a page other than
the current? Is there a way to have a component that is not on the
screen listen for an event?

Joe

Re: Listeners behaving strangely

Posted by Derek Brown <ze...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks a lot, I will implement the changes
immediately.

Derek

Posted by Derek Brown <ze...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

Here is my code:

Tab.jwc
=================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE component-specification PUBLIC
  "-//Apache Software Foundation//Tapestry
Specification 3.0//EN"

"http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/dtd/Tapestry_3_0.dtd">
<component-specification
class="org.apache.tapestry.BaseComponent"
    allow-body="yes"
    allow-informal-parameters="yes">

    <description>add a description</description>

    <parameter name="selected" required="yes"/>

    <component id="selected" type="Conditional">
        <inherited-binding name="condition"
parameter-name="selected"/>
        <static-binding name="element" value="li"/>
    </component>
    <component id="notselected" type="Conditional">
        <inherited-binding name="condition"
parameter-name="selected"/>
        <binding name="invert" expression="true"/>
        <static-binding name="element" value="li"/>
    </component>

    <component id="firstrenderbody" type="RenderBody"
/>
    <component id="secondrenderbody" type="RenderBody"
/>

</component-specification>

Tab.html
==============================
    <li jwcid="selected" id="current"><span
jwcid="firstrenderbody"></span></li>
	<li jwcid="notselected"><span
jwcid="secondrenderbody"></span></li>

TabGroup.jwc
==============================
<component-specification class="package.TabGroup">

  <property-specification persistent="yes"
name="selectedTab" type="java.lang.String"/>

  <component id="listtab" type="Tab">
    <binding name="selected" expression="listSelected"
/>
  </component>
  <component id="viewtab" type="Tab">
    <binding name="selected" expression="viewSelected"
/>
  </component>
  <component id="savetab" type="Tab">
    <binding name="selected" expression="saveSelected"
/>
  </component>
  <component id="searchtab" type="Tab">
    <binding name="selected"
expression="searchSelected" />
  </component>

  <component id="listlink" type="DirectLink">
	<binding name="listener"
expression="listeners.listTabAction"/>
  </component>
  <component id="viewlink" type="DirectLink">
	<binding name="listener"
expression="listeners.viewTabAction"/>
  </component>
  <component id="savelink" type="DirectLink">
	<binding name="listener"
expression="listeners.saveTabAction"/>
  </component>
  <component id="searchlink" type="DirectLink">
	<binding name="listener"
expression="listeners.searchTabAction"/>
  </component>

  <component id="condList" type="Conditional">
    <binding name="condition"
expression="listSelected"/>
  </component>

  <component id="condView" type="Conditional">
    <binding name="condition"
expression="viewSelected"/>
  </component>

  <component id="condSave" type="Conditional">
    <binding name="condition"
expression="saveSelected"/>
  </component>

  <component id="list" type="List"/>
  <component id="view" type="View"/>
  <component id="save" type="Save"/>

</component-specification>

TabGroup.java
===============================
public abstract class TabGroup extends BaseComponent
	implements PageRenderListener {

	public abstract void setSelectedTab(String
selectedTab);
	public abstract String getSelectedTab();

	public void pageBeginRender(PageEvent event) {
	    if ( getSelectedTab() == null ) {
	       setSelectedTab("list");
	    }
	}

	public boolean getListSelected() {
		if( "list".equals(getSelectedTab()) ) {
			return true;
		}
		return false;
	}

	public boolean getViewSelected() {
		if( "view".equals(getSelectedTab()) ) {
			return true;
		}
		return false;
	}

	public boolean getSaveSelected() {
		if( "save".equals(getSelectedTab()) ) {
			return true;
		}
		return false;
	}

	public boolean getSearchSelected() {
		if( "search".equals(getSelectedTab()) ) {
			return true;
		}
		return false;
	}

	public void listTabAction(IRequestCycle cycle) {
		setSelectedTab("list");
	}

	public void viewTabAction(IRequestCycle cycle) {
		setSelectedTab("view");
	}

	public void saveTabAction(IRequestCycle cycle) {
		setSelectedTab("save");
	}

	public void searchTabAction(IRequestCycle cycle) {
		setSelectedTab("search");
	}
}
============================
So when I am on the save tab, the save component is
displayed. From there when I click on a listener such
as:

	public void pagedOnLinkAction(IRequestCycle cycle)
	{
		Object[] objs = getRows();
		if( objs != null )
		{
			User user = (User) objs[0];
			setUser(user);
		}
	}

I get sent right back to the list tab.
Thanks for the help.

Derek

=== message truncated ===

Re: Listeners behaving strangely

Posted by Bryan Lewis <br...@maine.rr.com>.

Posted by Derek Brown <ze...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

I set this property to persistent in the .jwc file.
But when I'm on a tab other than the default and click
on a  listener, it seems to go right back to the
default "list" tab. There doesnt seem to be a
difference in behaviour. Any ideas?

Thanks

--- Derek Brown <ze...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I left of the word "lazy" in my last post. I
> am
> lazy initializing it because I wanted the default
> tab
> to be list only if some other value is not set
> (activeTab is not null). So I'll try marking the
> property as persistent="true" in the .jwc and see if
> it works.
>
> Thanks,
> Derek
>

> --- Bryan Lewis <br...@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Making it a persistent property only means that
> it's
> > saved in the user's
> > visit between uses of the page.  You can modify it
> > any way you like.  When
> > people talk about lazy initialization, they're
> > probably thinking of setting
> > the value to a default only when it's found to be
> > null, which is the first
> > time the user visits the page.

=== message truncated ===

Re: Listeners behaving strangely