Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Bartsch Axel <ax...@siemens.com> on 2004/07/26 16:35:16 UTC

using log4j to one logging file from more than one process

Hello,

I want to write into a logging file with log4j from an application that consists of 3 processes (=JAVA VMs).

Each process calls

String configFileName = "log.properties";
PropertyConfigurator.configure(configFileName);
tfl = Logger.getLogger("debug");

and then logs e.g. with
tfl.debug("hello");

The loggging file gets corrupted:
- each process writes into it, after a while 0Hex whitespace is added to the logging file
- there is output-process1, whitespace, output-process2, whitespace, output-process3, whitespace
- some trace outputs are missing
-timestamps start new with each output-processX

Is it possible to use log4j for wrting into the same file for multiple processes (=JAVA VMs).

Axel

Re: using log4j to one logging file from more than one process

Posted by Dennis Cook <de...@cook-mail.net>.
Here is one approach that might work.

If the three processes can be started by a single common java process,
then you could use console appenders from those three processes and
collect there entries in the starting process by intercepting their
stdout and stderr streams; in turn writing to a file appender from that
process.