Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/20 12:48:17 UTC

heads up: master is unstable

Hi devs,

if you take a look at the commit list:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/commits/master

and check the reason travis is failing, you will notice its always the
same job and the same tests.

the failing test which the failing jobs have in common:

org.netbeans.modules.java.lsp.server.protocol.ServerTest
       failed: testHover
       errored: testMain

when did it start?

it appears to be caused by:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3266

although it has a green check mark, travis did not run at all before
integration for some reason - at least its not listed there. 12/12
checks ran, it should have been 13.

I restarted it yesterday a few times but the queue was full, so I waited
a day before writing this mail.

best regards,

michael

Re: heads up: master is unstable

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 21.04.22 09:39, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 20:45, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sandeep is working on the fix for master, ...
> That possibly wants to go via delivery now?  If we want it in master
> quickly after that, we can do an extra sync across before the next RC.

i don't know, I only saw the PR. I hope it can be resolved soon though.

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 18:16, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i am sure there used to be a reason why NB is build by three CI systems?
> But look at the glorious multi-coloured bikeshed! :-)
>
> I'm (still) in favour of moving down to 2 at least.  The GitHub /
> Jenkins split makes some sense though.

so am I. I am always in favor of reducing complexity.

I will start moving jobs step by step from travis to gh then, once
everything is more quiet in a week or two.

If anyone is against this it would be good to speak up before that.

-michael

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
Yes, lets avoid merging for now and wait a bit.

Travis just started running some jobs again. Lets hope it recovers
quickly (queue is down to 50).

Sandeep is working on the fix for master, but the travis job of the PR
is still in queue atm:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/4014

this incident wasn't caused by unreliable tests, it was caused by the
fact that travis didn't even start for a PR - and it got integrated anyway:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3266#issuecomment-1103966682

i am all for efforts of making tests more reliable though :)

best regards,
michael

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 20.04.22 17:15, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at 13:50, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> although it has a green check mark, travis did not run at all before
>> integration for some reason - at least its not listed there. 12/12
>> checks ran, it should have been 13.
> Good catch!  I've noticed that situation a few times over the last
> couple of weeks.
>
> .. next step, migrate everything else to GH??

you tell me, i am new here :)

i am sure there used to be a reason why NB is build by three CI systems?

but regarding travis:

I see 93 jobs in the queue and nothing is running (log in and look at
left panel, direct link doesn't really work). Yesterday it wasn't much
different. Unfortunately i can't find a timestamp anywhere so i can't
tell how old those jobs are.

Is something stuck? Should we cancel everything or would this make the
situation worse? Wait another day?

-michael

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
sorry please ignore what i just wrote

travis always applies the PR on top of latest master, while gh actions
will just test the given PR branch

so this won't help for travis.

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
travis caught up finally!