Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Raúl Lorenzo <ra...@altia.es> on 2008/02/25 11:25:57 UTC

Remote Test and CSV Data Set

Hello,

I am running a remote test with a CSV Data Set, should be CSV file only
in machine which starts the test (local machine) or should be in all
remote machines?

Thanks in advance

--
Raúl Lorenzo Boullosa
Desarrollador Aplicaciones Informáticas

Altia Consultores S.L.
http://www.altia.es

C/Colón nº18, 3ºA
36201 Vigo (Pontevedra - España)
Telf: +34 986 446 191
Fax: +34 986 439 128
Email: raul.lorenzo@altia.es

Re: Remote Test and CSV Data Set

Posted by an...@transport.qld.gov.au.
I've had similar problems in the past when using the remote testing
functions of JMeter and found I got the best results when all of my test
clients shared a common network area. That way they could all reference
the dataset from one location and I was also able to created unique log
files from each of my test clients by making the logname dynamic using the
windows %computername% variable.

An alternate approach I've taken was to use multiple instances of jmeter
on different machines with a test plan that used a set start time. As all
of my test machines had their time syncronised they all started at the
same time and ran the same test.  I created a windows command script that
setup my test environment so all I had to do on the clients was run the
script and they waitied until the start time and then kicked off the test.
If you're interested I've copied the script below, there's a lot of
environment specific information and its an old version of jmeter (test
was a couple of years ago now) but the idea should still work with the
latest versions

@IF /I NOT '%DEBUG%'=='YES' ECHO OFF
setlocal

set JDK_DIR=G:\IT\BusServ\Projects\Java\StressTesting\JDK\jdk1.4\bin
set UTILS_DIR=G:\IT\BusServ\Projects\Java\StressTesting\Utils
set
JMeter_DIR=G:\IT\BusServ\Projects\Java\StressTesting\jakarta-jmeter-2_0.20040923\bin
set LOG_DIR=G:\IT\BusServ\Projects\Java\StressTesting\ClientLogs
set path=%JDK_DIR%;%UTILS_DIR%

set
JMeterTestPlan=G:\IT\BusServ\Projects\Java\StressTesting\SMS\SMS-Readonly.jmx
set
JMeterKeyStore=G:\IT\BusServ\Projects\Java\StressTesting\SMS\DXDVM1.p12

for /f "usebackq" %%i in (`timestamp.cmd`) do set
BaseLogName=%LOG_DIR%\%computername%_%username%_%%i
set JMeterLogFile=%BaseLogName%_JMeter.log
set JMeterTestLogFile=%BaseLogName%.log

set JMeterHost=ebzxcs101.qdot.qld.gov.au
set JMeterPort=443
set JMeterProtocol=https
set JMeterThreadCount=40
set JMeterThreadDelay=60000
set JMeterThreadRampUp=1800
set JMeterThreadLoops=1000
set JMeterTestDuration=3900
set JMeterTestStartDelay=0

pushd %JMeter_DIR%

echo About to commence JMeter testing using %JMeterTestPlan% ...
echo Logging to %JMeterLogFile%
echo Logging results to %JMeterTestLogFile%

jmeter -t %JMeterTestPlan% -l %JMeterTestLogFile% -n
-Jqdot.property.JMeter.Host=%JMeterHost% ^
       -Jqdot.property.JMeter.Port=%JMeterPort%
-Jqdot.property.JMeter.Protocol=%JMeterProtocol% ^
       -Jqdot.property.JMeter.ThreadDelay=%JMeterThreadDelay% ^
       -Jqdot.property.JMeter.NumThreads=%JMeterThreadCount% ^
       -Jqdot.property.JMeter.ThreadRampUp=%JMeterThreadRampUp% ^
       -Jqdot.property.JMeter.NumLoops=%JMeterThreadLoops% ^
       -Jqdot.property.JMeter.TestDuration=%JMeterTestDuration% ^
       -Jqdot.property.JMeter.TestStartDelay=%JMeterTestStartDelay% ^
       -Jjmeter.save.saveservice.timestamp_format="dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm:ss" ^
       -Jjmeter.save.saveservice.output_format=csv ^
       -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=changeit ^
       -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=%JMeterKeyStore% > %JMeterLogFile% 2>&1

popd

echo Testing Complete.
goto end

:end
endlocal

Andrew Bredhauer
Solutions Architect
INFORMATION MANAGEMENT DIVISION | Queensland Transport
Creating business confidence

Floor B2, 477 Boundary Street, Spring Hill QLD 4000
P: 07 3834 2067         F: 07 3834 2175
M: 0409 482 692
E: andrew.r.bredhauer@transport.qld.gov.au

sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote on 25/02/2008 09:59:41 PM:

> On 25/02/2008, Raúl Lorenzo <ra...@altia.es> wrote:
> > I see jmeter-server.log.....
> >
> >  2008/02/25 11:11:46 INFO  - jmeter.services.FileServer: Default
> >  base=C:\programs\jakarta-jmeter-2.3.1\bin
> >  2008/02/25 11:11:46 INFO  - jmeter.services.FileServer: Stored:
> >  Farmacia1_0_v2Base64.csv
> >  2008/02/25 11:11:46 ERROR - jmeter.config.CSVDataSet:
> >  java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> >  C:\programs\jakarta-jmeter-2.3.1\bin\Farmacia1_0_v2Base64.csv (El
> >  sistema no puede hallar el archivo especificado)
> >  2008/02/25 11:11:46 INFO  - jmeter.samplers.SampleResult: Note:
Sample
> >  TimeStamps are START times
> >  2008/02/25 11:11:46 INFO  - jmeter.samplers.SampleResult:
> >  sampleresult.default.encoding is set to ISO-8859-1
> >
> >  I have more info about this issue, I noted that cvs file wasn´t
copied
> >  to server side, It has no sense that this copying process has to be
done
> >  manually by anyone, imagine that the test were done over 10 remote
> >  machines like my case, it will a headache..
> >  . is it a bug in Jmeter 2.3.1?
> >

> It's not a bug, per se.
>
> JMeter does not currently automatically copy any data files to remote
> systems; it only copies the test plan (which is not copied as a file,
> but as Java objects via RMI).
>
> It's not immediately obvious how JMeter should behave as regards to
> data files:
> * Should the data be read from the original system? That would
> increase the network traffic.
> * Should the file be copied when the file is first accessed? That
> might occur part-way through a test, which could cause some samples to
> run slower. What if the files cannot be created on some systems?
> * Should all data files be copied, or only ones known to CSV Dataset?
> (the functions stringFromFile() and CSVRead() can also read files, and
> there are other files that affect JMeter behaviour).
> * Should files always be copied, or only if they don't exist remotely?
> * Or should files only be copied if they are newer? Some data files
> may be huge.
> * What if a test requires different test data on each system (e.g.
> unique ids)?
>
> These issues need to be resolved before there can be any attempt to
> implement any such feature.
>
> In the meantime, the workround is to set up a script to do the copies
> as per the local requirements. If there is FTP access between systems
> one could probably use a local JMeter script in non-GUI mode to do the
> copies.
>

> >  Raúl Lorenzo escribió:
> >
> > > Hello,
> >  >
> >  > I am running a remote test with a CSV Data Set, should be CSV file
> >  > only in machine which starts the test (local machine) or should be
in
> >  > all remote machines?
> >  >
> >  > Thanks in advance
> >  >

> >  --
> >  Raúl Lorenzo Boullosa
> >  Desarrollador Aplicaciones Informáticas
> >
> >  Altia Consultores S.L.
> >  http://www.altia.es
> >
> >  C/Colón nº18, 3ºA
> >  36201 Vigo (Pontevedra - España)
> >  Telf: +34 986 446 191
> >  Fax: +34 986 439 128
> >  Email: raul.lorenzo@altia.es

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.

If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
utilising the same infrastructure.

Re: Remote Test and CSV Data Set

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raúl Lorenzo <ra...@altia.es>.