Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jacques Basaldúa <ja...@dybot.com> on 2018/11/05 19:31:57 UTC

Some early stage questions

Hi everyone,

I would like to formulate a proposal to the ASF incubator. After spending some time browsing the website, I still have a few novice questions I wish to share with you.

1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html states: "Before starting on the formal proposal, recruit a Champion.", how can I do that?

2. I don't have a sponsor. I have been dedicating almost 2000 hours in 2018 (on top of my day job) to this project started end of 2016. At that time, the project was developed in a corporation that open sourced it under an Apache License in Dec 2017. As I understand it, the incubator is about building (or failing to build) a community around a project. Does that meet your expectations?

3. The project is under refactoring to an ambitious long term goal. I do not have an MVP, but it has good documentation and software engineering practices including: unit testing, static and dynamic analysis tools, building automation, etc. I expect the jury and candidates to be comfortable with unfinished projects and decide on the vision and the code. Does that make sense or is it too early?

I think my questions should be common. If you agree, I volunteer to contribute the answers to the website to help others boarding on the incubator.

Thanks.

Jacques Basaldúa

Re: Some early stage questions

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 12:05 PM Jacques Basaldúa <ja...@dybot.com> wrote:

> I have been working really hard on the documentation in the last two months and I am almost done. The current public documentation is very incomplete. Please, allow me to share it with you when I merge the new version, as mentioned, in less than two weeks.

Note that at Apache we value community over code, so it might be
better to evangelize/recruit some folks to use/work on your project
instead of trying to make it "complete/done".

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

RE: Some early stage questions

Posted by Jacques Basaldúa <ja...@dybot.com>.
Hi Dave, Nick and everyone,

Thank you very much for the quick answer.

The original project was built by a team and released under an Apache License. As originally designed, it has no activity now. For the moment, I am alone in the pivoting the code released into a new idea. I am an original author. The updated public website will be in github + github pages very soon. In two weeks I have the first presentation at an event in Spain were I try to explain why it matters to me and that, of course, we need a community to make it happen. I will promote it in similar events: C++, R and Python Meetups in Madrid. My concern here is: 1. do I meet the requirements or should I wait for, say, one year, 2. how to present it to the ASF. Of course, I consider reaching the Apache Incubator the number one place to make the project visible and maximize the chance of success.

From what I understand from your replies: It is not impossible to submit a proposal for an incomplete project and neither is it a requirement to have a sponsor. The way to present it is: just share what I have and, if an ASF member wants to champion the project, then I will get advice on how to formalize a proposal for voting.

Is that correct?

I have been working really hard on the documentation in the last two months and I am almost done. The current public documentation is very incomplete. Please, allow me to share it with you when I merge the new version, as mentioned, in less than two weeks.

Thanks again,

Jacques.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.