Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jaysen Johnson <ja...@jaysenjohnson.com> on 2007/09/05 03:22:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Help: running apache virtualhosts as regular users and groups

Hello,

I am running Apache 2.2.4 on Fedora Core 6.  This is an RPM install.  I host several sites and I would like to setup each virtualhost to run as the user and group I am hosting for.  How do I configure apache to do this?

Example:  user joe has domain joesite.com configured in home directory /home/joe  How do I make his virtualhost run as user joe and group joe?

Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards,

--
Jaysen B. Johnson

Re: [users@httpd] Help: running apache virtualhosts as regular users and groups

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 9/5/07, Jaysen Johnson <ja...@jaysenjohnson.com> wrote:
> So 10 years of working with UNIX is not enough experience?   Thanks for
> belittling me like that.  I know how to patch software, just not RPMS.  I
> could easily compile apache myself and patch it.   I just prefer to use RPMS
> because I can update my server automatically with YUM.
>
> Now, is there anyone out there that can assist me without talking about to
> me or assuming that I do not have enough UNIX experience?

Common fella. I obviously wasn't trying to insult you. You said
yourself: "Sorry I am a newbie when it comes to this." But you didn't
seem to read the statements in the document that said "None of these
modules are apparently production-ready." and "At the present time,
you should only attempt to use one of these MPMs if you fully
understand the security and performance trade-offs involved."

Anyway, I already gave you my recommendation for you to solve the problem.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Help: running apache virtualhosts as regular users and groups

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/5/07, Jaysen Johnson <ja...@jaysenjohnson.com> wrote:
> So 10 years of working with UNIX is not enough experience?   Thanks for
> belittling me like that.  I know how to patch software, just not RPMS.  I
> could easily compile apache myself and patch it.   I just prefer to use RPMS
> because I can update my server automatically with YUM.
>
> Now, is there anyone out there that can assist me without talking about to
> me or assuming that I do not have enough UNIX experience?

Well, I've got 15 years of Unix experience (12 years of Linux), always
compile my own apache, and still I wouldn't attempt to solve this
problem by patching apache.

My suggestion is to follow the recipe outlined here:

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DifferentUserIDsUsingReverseProxy

It's simple, and you get the possibility to restart individual user's
servers without affecting others thrown in for free...

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland