Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Keheliya Gallaba <ke...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/08 09:56:30 UTC

Draft Proposal for 'LDAP proxy GUI' Project Idea

Dear Apache Directory Developers,

I have created a draft proposal for 'Develop a LDAP proxy GUI' project
idea for GSoC 2010. Below is the link for that document. I'm very
grateful if you can please suggest what are the modifications need to
be done to make it better. I have referenced Apache Directory
Documentation, Some online tutorials and following books.
Understanding LDAP - Design and Implementation by IBM
LDAP Client Application Development Guide and Reference by IBM
Eclipse Rich Client Platform: Designing, Coding, and Packaging Java
Applications
Eclipse Plugins by Dan Rubel and Eric Clayberg

Link to Draft Proposal for 'LDAP proxy GUI' :
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AchQu7BiiRdcZHNqbmJ0NV82M2R0cmNrNmhr&hl=en_GB

Your help and guidance is very much appreciated

Thank You

Keheliya Gallaba
http://galpotha.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/keheliya

Re: Draft Proposal for 'LDAP proxy GUI' Project Idea

Posted by Keheliya Gallaba <ke...@gmail.com>.
Dear Directory Developers,

I've submitted my proposal to official 'GSoC 2010' site at the link
[1]. All of your reviews and comments are most welcome. I'm eligible
to edit it till 9th April. Looking forward to working with you all.

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/private/google/gsoc2010/keheliya/t126989533457

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Keheliya

Posted by Keheliya Gallaba <ke...@gmail.com>.
Dear Pierre-Arnaud,

Thanx for the quick feedback. I'm waiting till March 29th to upload
the proposal officially and ready to make changes till Apiral 6th as
you've mentioned to make it perfect. Meanwhile I'm giving a try to fix
the bugs which were brought to my attention in the IRC chat.
I am very happily waiting for all the feedback for a good proposal and
further guidance on the path I've taken for contribution from all the
Directory Developers.

Best Regards,
Keheliya

On 24 March 2010 21:44, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> wrote:
> Hi Keheliya,
>
> This looks pretty good.
>
> The diagram helps for understanding.
>

> What's the next step?
> I've read here that students will be able to apply from March 29 to April 9.
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#student_apply
>
> Regards,
> Pierre-Arnaud
>

> On 24 mars 2010, at 08:03, Keheliya Gallaba wrote:
>
>> Dear Directory Developers,
>>
>> Thanks for all the feedback in the ML and IRC regarding my initial
>> draft for the LDAP diagnostic tool plugin to Apache Directory Studio
>> in GSoC 2010. I have come up with a newer version of the document with
>> the changes you have mentioned. Specifically, I have elaborated about
>> the use cases of it as a debugging tool, implementation details about
>> the architecture (with a diagram) etc. and changed the references to
>> newer versions of RFCs
>>
>> New link to the 'LDAP diagnostic tool plugin to Apache Directory
>> Studio' project proposal draft:
>> http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AchQu7BiiRdcZHNqbmJ0NV82NnpmNHh0ZGd2&hl=en_GB
>>
>> Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated as always.
>>
>> On 9 March 2010 10:20, Keheliya Gallaba <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> First of all thanx Stefan and Stefan ;-) for the quick yet informative
>>> feedback. And thanks Lecharny and Marcelot for the support and ideas
>>> for coming up with the proposal.

>>> In my next revision of the document, as Zoerner mentioned I will
>>> elaborate more on the benefits of the Proxy GUI and specially about
>>> the use cases of it as a debugging tool.

>>> And as Seelmann said, I will refer the new RFCs.
>>> +1 for the Proxy Core and GUI separation idea. It will be a good
>>> architecture and will make things easy for expansion and testing. I
>>> will revise the document illustrating the proposed architecture.
>>>
>>> Eagerly looking forward for more feedback...
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> --
>>> Keheliya Gallaba
>>> http://galpotha.wordpress.com
>>> http://twitter.com/keheliya
>>>

>> Best Regards
>> --
>> Keheliya Gallaba
>> http://galpotha.wordpress.com
>> http://twitter.com/keheliya

Best Regards

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Keheliya,

Posted by Keheliya Gallaba <ke...@gmail.com>.
Dear Directory Developers,

Thanks for all the feedback in the ML and IRC regarding my initial
draft for the LDAP diagnostic tool plugin to Apache Directory Studio
in GSoC 2010. I have come up with a newer version of the document with
the changes you have mentioned. Specifically, I have elaborated about
the use cases of it as a debugging tool, implementation details about
the architecture (with a diagram) etc. and changed the references to
newer versions of RFCs

New link to the 'LDAP diagnostic tool plugin to Apache Directory
Studio' project proposal draft:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AchQu7BiiRdcZHNqbmJ0NV82NnpmNHh0ZGd2&hl=en_GB

Your comments and feedback are very much appreciated as always.

On 9 March 2010 10:20, Keheliya Gallaba <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> First of all thanx Stefan and Stefan ;-) for the quick yet informative
> feedback. And thanks Lecharny and Marcelot for the support and ideas
> for coming up with the proposal.
>
> On 8 March 2010 19:40, Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> wrote:
>> Although you mention "debug purposes" in your Synopsis, I would emphasize
>> this aspect a little bit more. It makes clear why there is real value for
>> our users.
>
> In my next revision of the document, as Zoerner mentioned I will
> elaborate more on the benefits of the Proxy GUI and specially about
> the use cases of it as a debugging tool.
>
> On 8 March 2010 22:15, Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> wrote:
>> - The latest LDAP RFC are 4510-4519. If you want to study RFCs please
>> check out those.
>>
>> - As a design goal I think it would be nice to separate the proxy core
>> (the part doing the network communication and stores logs) from the GUI
>> part. This would make it possible to reuse the proxy core for a proxy
>> service. I don't think that you need to implement a separate service and
>> a communication protocol to the GUI. Additional such separation makes it
>> easier to write unit test.
>>

> And as Seelmann said, I will refer the new RFCs.
> +1 for the Proxy Core and GUI separation idea. It will be a good
> architecture and will make things easy for expansion and testing. I
> will revise the document illustrating the proposed architecture.
>
> Eagerly looking forward for more feedback...
>
> Best Regards
> --
> Keheliya Gallaba
> http://galpotha.wordpress.com
> http://twitter.com/keheliya

Best Regards

Posted by Keheliya Gallaba <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Keheliya,

some feedback from my side:

- The latest LDAP RFC are 4510-4519. If you want to study RFCs please
check out those.

- As a design goal I think it would be nice to separate the proxy core
(the part doing the network communication and stores logs) from the GUI
part. This would make it possible to reuse the proxy core for a proxy
service. I don't think that you need to implement a separate service and
a communication protocol to the GUI. Additional such separation makes it
easier to write unit test.

Looking forward to working with you :-)

Kind Regards,
Stefan Seelmann

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.
Hi Keliya!

Just a quick feedback: I really like the idea of adding an LDAP proxy to
Apache Directory Studio. If people try to integrate a bought or
downloaded software solution with their LDAP server, and therefore don't
know the LDAP client implementation, a proxy is quite helpful for
testing, verification and error detection.

Although you mention "debug purposes" in your Synopsis, I would
emphasize this aspect a little bit more. It makes clear why there is
real value for our users.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     StefanZ