Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jeroen Heijmans <je...@3icommunication.com> on 2003/07/18 19:13:37 UTC

Receiving outside mail with James

Hi

I've installed James and it is running correctly, but I can't receive
any mail from outside. The mail sent does not bounce, so I assume that
James is actually receiving them, but there's no sign of that. A simple
custom Mailet outputs every incoming mail to screen, but I can only see
those sent to localhost through James itself.

I checked the FAQ at the James website, but they suggested to send the
mail using an IP, which I was already doing. I thought it might have
something to do with the fact that I was running SMTP on a different
port than 25, but when I changed that back and shut sendmail down, it
still didn't work.

Does anybody know what I should change to make it work? In case it
matters, I'm running James 2.1.3 under Linux (RH).

Jeroen Heijmans

RE: Receiving outside mail with James

Posted by Lindsay Smith <li...@wapdat.com>.
I think checking in the smtpserver log would verify if the mail really was
making it to James.

Posted by Lindsay Smith <li...@wapdat.com>.
Definitely seems like a network issue.
If one email will go through, but then not an other, it seems like an
intermittent network issue.
The fact that one email gets through indicates that the MX records are
probably ok, but it's worth checking these out, which is the next thing to
analyse for mail routing.

Posted by Jeroen Heijmans <je...@3icommunication.com>.

Posted by Jeroen Heijmans <je...@3icommunication.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've installed James and it is running correctly, but I can't receive
> any mail from outside. The mail sent does not bounce, so I assume that
> James is actually receiving them, but there's no sign of that.

This ought to be an FAQ.

If e-mail is arriving, there will be an entry in the SMTP server log for
each connection, and for each message.  If it isn't there, it isn't
arriving.  Check the SMTP server log, and make sure that you are using the
same port (normally 25) as your mail client.

If you can't figure out where it is going, or why, turn on DEBUG for the
spool manager, and get a trace of the flow through the pipeline.  Each
matcher and mailet that operates on the message will be shown.

	--- Noel