Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Ron Peterson <rp...@mtholyoke.edu> on 2008/07/01 17:57:57 UTC

custom metadata?

I've got a news and events system on campus that basically does what a
comment-less blog does.  It has one feature I'm not sure how to
replicate w/ roller though.  Stories are 'weighted' and may have a
publication date.  So a story about an upcoming event would include the
event's date, and a weight which (ostensibly - people try to game this
all the time) is supposed to serve to indicate how 'important' the event
is.

These factors are combined to generate a probability that the item will
be highlighted on our website's main page.  The more important the
event, and the closer today's date to the date range of the event, the
more likely it will show up.

Would there currently be any way to configure roller to do something
similar?  Being able to add some meta-data, and a few handy velocity
macros later, I think this would be pretty easy.  I'm not seeing quite
how to do this today though.  Any ideas?

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager

Re: custom metadata?

Posted by Ron Peterson <rp...@mtholyoke.edu>.
2008-07-02_10:12:56-0400 Dave <sn...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Ron Peterson <rp...@mtholyoke.edu> wrote:
> >> Would there currently be any way to configure roller to do something
> >> similar?  Being able to add some meta-data, and a few handy velocity
> >> macros later, I think this would be pretty easy.  I'm not seeing quite
> >> how to do this today though.  Any ideas?
> >
> > p.s. - limiting the ability to edit specific metadata, like the 'weight'
> > attribute I refer to above, to specific users rather than the authors,
> > would be a plus.
>
> No, Roller does not currently provide a way to set entry metadata.
>
> What you describe would require Java code changes to Roller.

I thought so, but I'm generally ignorant enough that there's always room
for enlightenment.

I might be able to kludge something by using the post date and
categories.  E.g. I could make a roller site w/ categories like 'high,
medium, low'.  Then the RSS/Atom feed (atom seems to do a better job of
distinguishing whether item categories were tags or roller categories)
would have item attributes for category and post date I could use.

Except that a future post date won't show up.  Is it possible to get a
feed that includes future post dates somehow?

Re: custom metadata?

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Ron Peterson <rp...@mtholyoke.edu> wrote:
>> Would there currently be any way to configure roller to do something
>> similar?  Being able to add some meta-data, and a few handy velocity
>> macros later, I think this would be pretty easy.  I'm not seeing quite
>> how to do this today though.  Any ideas?
>
> p.s. - limiting the ability to edit specific metadata, like the 'weight'
> attribute I refer to above, to specific users rather than the authors,
> would be a plus.

No, Roller does not currently provide a way to set entry metadata.

What you describe would require Java code changes to Roller.

- Dave

Re: custom metadata?

Posted by Ron Peterson <rp...@mtholyoke.edu>.
2008-07-01_11:57:57-0400 rpeterso: