Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/03/29 16:53:35 UTC

Downloading Maven to brutus

Ok, I give. I'm used to using 'lynx' on Linux for a text based http, but
that doesn't appear to be available on brutus. Does anybody know an
alternative?

I need to download this:

    http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/maven/binaries/maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz

or copy it between apache machines (probably smarter if I could figure out
where it sits.)

Can somebody help?

regards

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Downloading Maven to brutus

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Ok, I give. I'm used to using 'lynx' on Linux for a text based http, but
> that doesn't appear to be available on brutus. Does anybody know an
> alternative?
>
> I need to download this:
>
>     http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/maven/binaries/maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz
>
> or copy it between apache machines (probably smarter if I could figure out
> where it sits.)
>
> Can somebody help?

What about wget or curl?

--
Stefano.

Re: Downloading Maven to brutus

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
your link is a HTML page. you need to get it directly say from
http://www.apache.org/dist/maven/binaries/maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz

-- dims

=====

Re: Downloading Maven to brutus

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
curl ?

BrutusConfig (Re: Downloading Maven to brutus)

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Hehe... I actually spent some time to update the Gump Wiki with a
> greatly expanded README (with specific URL references and commands) --
> and all this was BEFORE I read the above email.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/gump/BrutusConfig

Awesome, thanks.

> I left out Maven and Forrest, can you add these to the other prereqs
> section?  Preferably with some specific commands and/or URLs.

Yup, will do.

> > BTW: We've done moof (although it isn't complete) and now brutus. If we
do a
> > couple more, frm the documentation we generate for these, we ought
hopefully
> > have nailed the steps pretty well.
>
> Exactly.  The next one to conquer is FreeBSD.  And also remember, Brutus
> still can be wiped at any time.  In fact, ideally I would like to plan
> on it being wiped periodically if possible.

Yup, no complaints from me, we get quicker/better each time & repeated
attempts will only improve the documentation & user/installer experience.

regards

Adam

Re: Downloading Maven to brutus

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Thank you. I'll update the README and post it to the Gump Wiki for a clear
> record. I'll cut-n-paste your package install command line, please update it
> with these if needed.

Hehe... I actually spent some time to update the Gump Wiki with a
greatly expanded README (with specific URL references and commands) --
and all this was BEFORE I read the above email.

http://wiki.apache.org/gump/BrutusConfig

I left out Maven and Forrest, can you add these to the other prereqs
section?  Preferably with some specific commands and/or URLs.

> BTW: We've done moof (although it isn't complete) and now brutus. If we do a
> couple more, frm the documentation we generate for these, we ought hopefully
> have nailed the steps pretty well.

Exactly.  The next one to conquer is FreeBSD.  And also remember, Brutus
still can be wiped at any time.  In fact, ideally I would like to plan
on it being wiped periodically if possible.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Downloading Maven to brutus

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
Sam responded:

> >>use wget :)
>
> FYI: I've now installed both lynx and curl.

Thank you. I'll update the README and post it to the Gump Wiki for a clear
record. I'll cut-n-paste your package install command line, please update it
with these if needed.

BTW: We've done moof (although it isn't complete) and now brutus. If we do a
couple more, frm the documentation we generate for these, we ought hopefully
have nailed the steps pretty well.

> > Thanks, I tried it. Did I do something wrong?
> >
> > gump@brutus:/usr/local/gump$ wget
> > http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/maven/binaries/maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz
>
> Take a close look at that page.  It is an HTML page telling you where
> you can download maven from, not the tar.gz file itself.

Yup, dims helped me there, and Maven (rc2) is now installed. I was blindly
looking at the extension, even though I know what closer.cgi does & it's
output. Oh well.

regards,

Adam

Re: Downloading Maven to brutus

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Davey <Mi...@coderage.org>.
You've got the URL for the redirect-to-mirror script.  It would be useful
if someone updated the script to detect browser type and do an auto-redirect
for tools like wget, but never mind.

try this:

wget -C=off http://www.apache.org/dist/maven/binaries/maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz

"-C=off" turns off the cache (which should be okay being on).

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.

> use wget :)

Thanks, I tried it. Did I do something wrong?

gump@brutus:/usr/local/gump$ wget
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/maven/binaries/maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz
--07:04:32--
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/maven/binaries/maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz
           => `maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz'
Resolving www.apache.org... 209.237.227.195
Connecting to www.apache.org[209.237.227.195]:80... connected.
Length: unspecified [text/html]

    [ <=>                                 ] 15,170        --.--K/s

07:04:33 (14.31 MB/s) - `maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz' saved [15170]

gump@brutus:/usr/local/gump$ ls
README  forrest  maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz  packages  public  xml-forrest
gump@brutus:/usr/local/gump$ gunzip maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz

gunzip: maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz: not in gzip format
gump@brutus:/usr/local/gump$ ls -l
total 32
-rw-rw-r--    1 gump     staff        1341 Mar 28 14:56 README
drwxrwsr-x   11 gump     staff        4096 Mar 28 14:02 forrest
-rw-rw-r--    1 gump     staff       15170 Mar 29 07:04 maven-1.0-rc2.tar.gz
lrwxrwxrwx    1 gump     staff          20 Mar 26 22:36 packages ->
/home/gump/packages/
drwxrwsr-x    6 gump     staff        4096 Mar 28 14:07 public
drwxrwsr-x   10 gump     staff        4096 Mar 28 14:02 xml-forrest
gump@brutus:/usr/local/gump$

Re: Downloading Maven to brutus

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
use wget :)