Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Schoenberg, Lewis" <le...@hq.ileaf.com> on 2000/01/18 18:25:35 UTC

RE: NullPointerException in org.apache.xalan.xpath.xml.FormatterT oXML .init()

Hi Scott.

Mea culpa.  In fact, unknown to me, another part of our application had been
explicitly, and incorrectly, setting the file.encoding property to "utf-8",
so it wasn't VM differences that were at fault at all.  I only discovered
this after a lot of discussion here this morning about the best approach to
coming up with a workaround.  In fact, WJView's file.encoding is "Cp1252",
just like JView's.  So the only real problem with Xalan was that it wasn't
gracefully handling unexpected file.encoding settings.  So please do not add
"UTF-8" to the encoding table on our account.  My apologies for any
confusion this might have caused.

-Lewis

P.S.  I wasn't aware of the mailing list.  Thanks for the pointer.