Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Adrian Cho <Ad...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/06/20 02:27:26 UTC

Questions about Cactus licensing

Hello

I am not a Cactus developer but I figured this would be the best place to
get information about Cactus licensing especially for details that may
require people to recall the past.  Specifically I am trying to find out
information about Cactus' relicensing from GPL when it was J2EEUnit at
SourceForge, to the Apache license at the Apache Software Foundation.

Can anybody provide information on how the relicensing effort was handled?
Specifically were all contributors contacted and did they all give
permission for their code to be relicensed under the Apache license?

Does anybody have a clue as to how much of the original GPL-licensed (now
relicensed to Apache) code remains in the current releases (we are looking
at Cactus 1.7.2)?

In case you are wondering, my questions relate to redistribution of Cactus
in the Eclipse Web Tools Project.    IBM is a developer and consumer of the
Web Tools Project and we're just trying to understand the pedigree of the
Cactus code.

Thanks

Adrian

Adrian Cho
Manager, Intellectual Property
IBM Ottawa Lab
adrian_cho@ca.ibm.com
External: (613) 726-5536
Tie:  654-5536

RE: Questions about Cactus licensing

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Adrian,

Yes. AFAIR I was the only contributor at that time which made it easy ;-)

> Does anybody have a clue as to how much of the original GPL-licensed (now
> relicensed to Apache) code remains in the current releases (we are looking
> at Cactus 1.7.2)?

I'd say not a lot but then that was more than 5 years ago...

> In case you are wondering, my questions relate to redistribution of Cactus
> in the Eclipse Web Tools Project.    IBM is a developer and consumer of
> the
> Web Tools Project and we're just trying to understand the pedigree of the
> Cactus code.

No problem.

Thanks
-Vincent