Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/11 07:39:46 UTC

Gradle Distribution Settings

Dear all,

I'd like to collect some feedback on the Gradle Distribution Settings
(Tools > Options > Java > Gradle > Execution Panel > Distribution Section)

Over the years, Gradle evolved and some usage patterns has changed.

8 years ago, Gradle Daemon was in incubation phase. It could took a few
(5-10) seconds to start a daemon especially with HDDs.
People usually installed some latest Gradle and used that globally,
wrapper was not yet popular.

I think the following settings are obsolete:
   - Start Gradle Daemon on IDE Start: Most people are using wrappers,
so a daemon with the IDE defined distribution, just wasting resources.
   - Install Gradle Runtime Silently (Project trust is fine for that)

The following options are questionable:
   Custom Gradle Distribution. (I think I've used only once around 2.3
when I built my own Gradle distribution due to a bug in Gradle)

The Gradle Distribution Selector Combo Box is over engineered. I would
replace that and the
"Prefer to Use Gradle Wrapper that Comes with the Project" check box in
a simple combo with elements:
Wrapper
8.0
7.6
3.0

I would drop the selection below at least 3.0 (Gradle 2.x are ancient,
and there are a few versions which are not working well with NetBeans)

So at the end I would keep the Gradle Home and the combined distribution
selector. Probably move that to root project level as well.

What do you think?

Re: Gradle Distribution Settings

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
sounds good to me.

regarding the gradle custom dist selection:

One argument for keeping it would be to have parity to maven which is
still fairly similar in setup, it has daemons, wrappers etc. The UI has
a dist selector too - I use that one sometimes. But I do also agree that
it is more common in gradle projects to use wrappers, while in maven
land it is still often expected that it is installed on your machine
like in old times.

if it isn't too difficult to maintain I would consider keeping that option.

also if you are planning to move elements around in the gradle options,
it would be worth thinking about trying to mirror it in the maven
options so that the UX is somewhat similar.

best regards,
michael

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 at 07:41, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Prefer to Use Gradle Wrapper that Comes with the Project" check box ...
> So at the end I would keep the Gradle Home and the combined distribution
> selector. Probably move that to root project level as well.

Well, I'd certainly appreciate the ability to ignore the wrapper
and/or a UI for easily switching the wrapper version on the root
project level.  Even if some defaults are kept globally.

Out of interest, does the Gradle tooling API verify the wrapper files
against known checksums?  Something akin to
https://github.com/gradle/wrapper-validation-action ?  If not, that
might be a good part of our project trust support.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Gradle Distribution Settings

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
I’m an odd ball with more than just my Gradle setup 🤣

Basically I just want to use the latest version unless I need to pin it down for compatibility.  That lets me see when I’m using something that has been deprecated etc.

Regarding the Gradle User Home setting… I think these days the people that have multiple drives and need to have Gradle store artifacts outside of their home directory likely know various ways to make that happen (e.g. symlink or env var).  As I stated, we don’t have a similar override for Maven (which has other ways to deal with it as well), so we don’t likely need this.  In any case running from the command line, I doubt users would want to always type the --gradle-user-home option (or remember to if they’ve changed the setting in NB), they probably set the GRADLE_USER_HOME environment variable.  That should solve the issue for NetBeans as well.

You could always keep the ability behind a more generic list of additional options to add to Gradle commands.  Like the way you can add arguments to build actions from the project settings.

Cheers,

Scott

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear Scott,