Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by danox <da...@cucurucho.org> on 2002/09/25 06:31:51 UTC

Tomcat 4.0.2, Apache 1.3.24, mod_jk, OpenBSD 3.1 <- erratic behaviour

I have set up tomcat 4.0.2 to run with apache 1.3.24 on an OpenBSD
platform. I used mod_jk to provide the connection, which I managed to
compile from source on OpenBSD.

I am having 2 problems,  believe if I resolved the first it would help
me someways to resolve the second.

1)
mod_jk creates a log file, but never writes to it. the log is always 0
length. I have used the following lines to try and get it to produce a
log file:
***********************************
      <!-- Define the default virtual host -->
      <Host name="monkeymagic" debug="0" appBase="/var/tomcat/webapps"
unpackWAR
s="true">

        <!-- this line is included for apache integration using mod_jk -->
         <Listener
className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig" append ="true"
forwardAll="true" noRoot="false" jkDebug="debug"  />
***********************************

I have tried this with jkDebug="debug" and jkDebug="error" as well. (got
this from http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/ajp.html)

Everything else goes fine, catalina.out reveals that tomcat-apache has
started, and I can actually get apache to talk to tomcat, but no log
file is generated.

2).
Apache-Tomcat link using mod_jk is highly erratic.
You can check this for yoursefl here:
http://monkeymagic.netforce.com.au/examples/jsp/index.html
Every 10 page requests or so, apache will serve the example jsp page
using tomcat. the rest of the time I get a 500 Internal Server Error.
I have been unable to diagnose this problem, and my main concerns are:
- nothing is reported in the apache error_log
- nothing is reported in catalina.out, or any of the other logs generate
by tomcat.
- the mod_jk log file is completely empty.

some background information here:
- Running as standalone (port 8080) tomcat works just fine.
- The same goes for apache running apache without mod_jk.
- mod_jk loads with tomcat and creates mod_jk.conf in the auto directory.
- this setup seems to be more stable when I define the host in
server.xml as "localhost" instead of "monkeymagic", but still occurs.

Relevant sections of server.xml:
***********************************

  <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
       a single "Container" (and therefore the web applications visible
       within that Container).  Normally, that Container is an "Engine",
       but this is not required.

       Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
       define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
   -->

  <!-- define the appache config connector -->
  <Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig" />
.
.
.
      <!-- Define the default virtual host -->
      <Host name="monkeymagic" debug="0" appBase="/var/tomcat/webapps"
unpackWARs="true">

        <!-- this line is included for apache integration using mod_jk -->
         <Listener
className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig" append="true"
forwardAll="true" noRoot="false" jkDebug="info" />
.
.
.

***********************************

Relevant section of httpd.conf:
***********************************
.
.
.
Include /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.2/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf
***********************************

Any pointers as to at least how to get mod_jk loging, or where to look
for some answers would be most appreciated. Thanks for your consideration.

Re: Tomcat 4.0.2, Apache 1.3.24, mod_jk, OpenBSD 3.1 <- erratic behaviour

Posted by MT...@t-online.de.
Hi,

I have the same problem (problem 2) on Windows NT. I am using Tomcat
4.0.3, Apache 1.3.26, mod_jk. Tomcat standalone is working fine. I can
work with my application. After an idle time (but smaller than the
defined Timeouts) I get the same message as you got. After clicking
reload in the browser, everything is fine. Still don't have a solution
up to now. If you find a solution, it would be a great help for me,
too.

Greetings

Michael

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, danox wrote:

> I have set up tomcat 4.0.2 to run with apache 1.3.24 on an OpenBSD
> platform. I used mod_jk to provide the connection, which I managed to
> compile from source on OpenBSD.
>
> I am having 2 problems,  believe if I resolved the first it would help
> me someways to resolve the second.
>
> 1)
> mod_jk creates a log file, but never writes to it. the log is always 0
> length. I have used the following lines to try and get it to produce a
> log file:
> ***********************************
>       <!-- Define the default virtual host -->
>       <Host name="monkeymagic" debug="0" appBase="/var/tomcat/webapps"
> unpackWAR
> s="true">
>
>         <!-- this line is included for apache integration using mod_jk -->
>          <Listener
> className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig" append ="true"
> forwardAll="true" noRoot="false" jkDebug="debug"  />
> ***********************************
>
> I have tried this with jkDebug="debug" and jkDebug="error" as well. (got
> this from http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/ajp.html)
>
> Everything else goes fine, catalina.out reveals that tomcat-apache has
> started, and I can actually get apache to talk to tomcat, but no log
> file is generated.
[ ... ]

I believe the mod_jk log file is controlled by directives that go in
the Apache httpd.conf (perhaps via an Include).  (The above Listener
is to have Tomcat auto-generate a mod_jk.conf file.)  Check out the
JkLogFile and JkLogLevel directives.  You show that you include the
auto-generated mod_jk.conf file, but you don't show what's in it.

Don't know about 2.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu