Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/13 21:40:35 UTC

[ACTION] Align Usergrid Development Direction with Release

Hi Folks,
I am wondering if we can move on from the recent conversation regarding the
commit process...
I also wonder if we can continue to do development on UG?
I hope that this thread will act as a driver to converge our development
efforts... hopefully leading to 1.0 release ASAP.
Any comments on this one?
Thanks
Lewis

--
*Lewis*

Re: [ACTION] Align Usergrid Development Direction with Release

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.
Lewis,

I volunteer to manage the release.  I have some cycles to shepherd it through.

I propose that we use a Maven Assembly to do the release (I understand that Dave has used this method w/ other Apache projects).  I am thinking that a directory structure like this would make the most sense:

WebApps
   - built portal code, in war file to be served off of Tomcat
   - stack war file
Lib
   - sample usergrid props file
Launcher
   - Jar file for launcher in separate dir
Docs
   - directory w/ docs
SDKs
   - each SDK, compiled/built if needed

I will also create additional tickets for prepping for the release, docs, etc.

Sound good?

Rod

--
Rod Simpson
@rockerston

On June 13, 2014 at 2:06:17 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney (lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com) wrote:

OK I'm going to try and resolve the remaining license tickets ASAP.
I am tight... but if no one is standing forward for release manager then I will do it.
I am pretty experienced in the process [0][1][2] but UG is a new process with several components... we also need someone to display the multiple components comprehensively on the WebSite.
First though, the last number of tickets.

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Release_HOWTO - Apache Nutch
[1] http://any23.apache.org/release-howto.html - Apache Any23
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GORA/Apache+Gora+Release+Procedure+HOW_TO

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com> wrote:
Lewis,

We haven’t stopped doing development.  We do need to resolve the commit process, but that isn’t preventing us from doing a release.

And indeed, we do need to drive towards our 1.0 release asap.

Rod

--
Rod Simpson
@rockerston

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis,

I think we need to talk through the contributor process.

Jake proposed a meeting on the #usergrid channel of Freenode IRC chat.

And I proposed some possible times for that meeting:
    http://markmail.org/message/kmqri23joqacusaw

Any of those times good for you?

Thanks,
- Dave

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <