Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Shayne Lebrun <sl...@muskoka.com> on 2005/12/05 16:42:37 UTC

(TOT) OKAY I'am the black man !!!

> poor you - all you see is hate an racism.
> are you american?
>
> the "black man" regarding to the second advent is allso called :
> black man = Krampuss, Klaubau, Bubutz, Perchten, Pelznickel, Hans
> Muff, Hans
> Trab, Perchten, Buutz, Schwoaftuifl ...

Ah, a bit of linguistic mixup.  You'd have been better served by phrasing it
'man in black,' mein Herr; to evoke the vision of the black-hatted cowboy,
or the evil guy in black leather, and so on.

I've had similar problems in the other direction; a German friend of mine
used to break out into howling gales of laughter when I would try to get
some point across in German, but phrasing it in an English way, or not
realizing that a certain turn of phrase has a different cultural
connotation, auf Deutsch.

Just to help foster a little understanding with my cousins south of the
border, and our cousins across the the oceans.

Re: (TOT) OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Monday 05 December 2005 11:01, Keith Ivey wrote:
>Shayne Lebrun wrote:
>> Ah, a bit of linguistic mixup.  You'd have been better served by
>> phrasing it 'man in black,' mein Herr; to evoke the vision of the
>> black-hatted cowboy, or the evil guy in black leather, and so on.
>
>Yes, but then people would have thought he was talking about Johnny
> Cash.

Only in America.  I think he did his best work in the last 5 years of
his life.  But I'm a fan for the last 40+ years, so take that with
sufficient salt.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: (TOT) OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Keith Ivey <kc...@cpcug.org>.
Shayne Lebrun wrote:

> Ah, a bit of linguistic mixup.  You'd have been better served by phrasing it
> 'man in black,' mein Herr; to evoke the vision of the black-hatted cowboy,
> or the evil guy in black leather, and so on.

Yes, but then people would have thought he was talking about Johnny Cash.

--
Keith C. Ivey <kc...@cpcug.org>
Washington, DC