Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian Elliott <be...@unpluggedsystems.com> on 2001/04/10 20:44:36 UTC

Re: apache vhost->mod_jk->servlet container & ResourceBundle problem

Thanks to Jeff Kilbride for his post! I ended up using his suggestions
posted earlier on virtual hosting and it works well. It seems like a
better solution from a security standpoint. But I am just so glad to get
something that works after struggling with it for a week.

Also on the ResourceBundle / locale problem I posted earlier: I hadn't
really looked at the code in HelloWorldExample.java to realize it was
trying to do an I18L HelloWorld. So I just removed the ResourceBundle
code for now to get me going - which is fine.

Brian Elliott

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
Hi Brian,

Your welcome. Actually, I tested setting up a VHost with the DocumentRoot in
Apache set to the same physical directory as the docBase in server.xml and
it worked. Here's an example w/generic info:

Apache:
<VirtualHost 111.222.333.444>
    ServerName www.tld.com
    ServerAdmin webmaster@tld.com
    DocumentRoot "/home/webdev/websites/tld"

    JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
    JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
</VirtualHost>

server.xml:
<Host name="www.tld.com" >
    <Context path=""
                  docBase="/home/webdev/websites/tld"
                  crossContext="false"
                  debug="0"
                  reloadable="true" >
     </Context>
</Host>

This does the following:
    www.tld.com  --  HTML and JSP files pull up correctly
    www.tld.com/servlet  --  servlets pull up correctly

Servlets pull from the following physical directory:
/home/webdev/websites/tld/WEB-INF/classes

Note: you should also add a <Location> directive to the Apache config to
keep people from viewing your WEB-INF directory.

--jeff