Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Sreekanth Jella <sr...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/13 00:33:48 UTC

Flattening XML in a DataFrame

Hi Folks,

I am trying flatten variety of XMLs using DataFrames. I'm using spark-xml
package which is automatically inferring my schema and creating a DataFrame.

I do not want to hard code any column names in DataFrame as I have lot of
varieties of XML documents and each might be lot more depth of child nodes.
I simply want to flatten any type of XML and then write output data to a
hive table. Can you please give some expert advice for the same.

Example XML and expected output is given below.

Sample XML:

<emplist>

<emp>

   <manager>

   <id>1</id>

   <name>foo</name>

    <subordinates>

      <clerk>

        <cid>1</cid>

        <cname>foo</cname>

      </clerk>

      <clerk>

        <cid>1</cid>

        <cname>foo</cname>

      </clerk>

    </subordinates>

   </manager>

</emp>

</emplist>

Expected output:

id, name, clerk.cid, clerk.cname

1, foo, 2, cname2

1, foo, 3, cname3

Thanks,

Sreekanth Jella

RE: Flattening XML in a DataFrame

Posted by sr...@gmail.com.
Hi Hyukjin,

I have created the below issue.
https://github.com/databricks/spark-xml/issues/155

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Hyukjin Kwon

Re: Flattening XML in a DataFrame

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for late reply.

Currently, the library only supports to load XML documents just as they are.

Do you mind if I ask open an issue with some more explanations here,

Posted by Sreekanth Jella <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Experts,

  .selectExpr("manager.id <http://manager.id> ", "manager.name <http://manager.name> ", "explode(manager.subordinates.clerk) as clerk")

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.